Can't Re-attach Outdrive the last .10"

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 1984 120R, Model I outdrive. Trying to get it back on after replacing U-joint. It has only .1" gap from full attachment. Do I tighten the nuts to force it on or is there something not right?<br /><br />Could it be engine alignment? Could it be just the compression of the rubber ring in the gimble?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can't Re-attach Outdrive the last .10"

You should check that alignment any time the drive is off and yes that could be causing your trouble.How easy or hard did this thing come apart?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to wiggle it a bit to remove it. (In case the .10" isn't clear, that is 1/10 of an inch) Took awhile to get it that close. I had to rotate the shaft, try it, rotate it, try it, etc

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, Are you sure that all of the shift components are lined up properly? It would be a good idea to check that alignment. If you did not mess with the engine height adjustment or replace the gimbal bearing it's likely that the alignment is OK. But better safe than sorry. I would check it for peace of mind. If you still have problems after all of this is done, try using a dead blow PLASTIC hammer (not a metal one!) to bump it the rest of the way on or try bumping it on with the flats of your hands. I have had this problem myself and yes the rubber seal does tend to bind a bit as it pulls together. I usually lube it with a little bit of Merc 24C grease before I pop the drive in. Hope this helps!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Made absolutely sure the control box is in forward gear and the leg is also in forward gear. If all that's OK, then use a size 11 hammer. :D Also known as your boot. If you put new 'o' rings on the yoke, then it'll be a bit tight as they slide into the gimabl bearing. You did put some grease on them didn't you?<br /><br />Chris...........

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I greased the new O-rings and the shaft spline. The shift lever is full forward, the shift channel piece on the drive shaft housing is aligned properly.<br /><br /> You know, the 2nd shaft O-ring should be just trying to go into the gimbal bearing opening about now, right? Maybe that is the sticking point. (I did not replace the bearing)<br /><br /> There is one step in my book which makes no sense to me, "Move bell housing sift lever to the right (facing transom from inside the boat) until the shift lever coupler locating slot faces to the rear." I assume this somehow refers to the shifting lever/roller alignment with the shifting slide. I think it is ok, but I don't see anything on the inside to move.

damie

Seaman

I HAD PROBLEMS HERE!<br />I FOUND THAT IT WAS THE NEW O RING NOT PUSHING THROUGH GIMBLE BEARING SO PUT A LITTLE LUBE ON IT AND IN IT WENT!(SO TO SPEAK!!)<br />MAKE SHURE THAT YOUR SHIFT IS IN FORWARD AND THAT THE LEG IS ALSO IN FORWARD GEAR ELSE THIS WILL STOP THE LEG FROM GOING HOME ALSO ..JUST LOOK DOWN THE BACK WHERE THE SPEED HOSE CONNECTS TO SEE IF THE TWO LEVERS ARE CONNECTING CORRECTLY.<br />GOOD LUCK MATE!! ;)

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK-it's together. I just slowly tightened the nuts and it smoothly drew together. Seems to shift ok also. I'll test drive it next. I think it was just the seal in the gimble ousing getting compressed and maybe the o-ring also.