cant get the drive into the transom, merc 3.0

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice
hello guys!

i have been reading alot on this forum, and learnd alot from it!

but here is the case, i have rebuild my 3.0 merc 140hk and are now to install the drive. its a alpha drive, everything is about 1980.

the engine is aligned properly, checked and rechecked many times!

i get the drive in to a point where it stops, then its about 3/4 inch from seating properly in the transom.

the gear lever fits in the shifter an nothing there to stop it.

somebody got any idea? :confused:

cant see anything that stops it... hae never installed a drive before..

my english is probably not so good, i'm from norway so i hope you understand me :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cant get the drive into the transom, merc 3.0

Ayuh,... Did you slather Grease on the Input shaft,..?? The O-rings tend to hang up going through the gimbel bearing sometimes...
Is Everything in Forward,..?? It could be hanging up on the shift Shoe/ Foot...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Sometimes it helps to have 2 people.One to hold the drive shaft straight and be able to turn it to align the splines with the coupler.
Also make sure you use just a very thin coating of grease on the splines.Too much and it will keep it from seating past the rubber O-ring.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The O-rings tend to hang up going through the gimbel bearing sometimes...

That's what it sounds like to me. You need to grease / lubricate the o rings. If you are sure everything is lined up and everything is lubed, then don't be afraid to give it a little "persuasion" with your foot (in other words, give it a kick! ;) ) and it will probably go on the rest of the way with no problems.

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys!

I'll look more in to it tomorrow!

the splines enter fine, and its lightly lubricated.

i guess its the o-rings! tried to give it a little kick to, but no score.

i'll give it a try again! thanks!!

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Again, make sure that the shifter is in the forward position and that the shift shaft on the outdrive is facing forward as the drive meets the gimbal housing. It`s so easy for the shift shaft to move as your sliding everything together.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I just went through this last weekend.

The last 3/4 inch or so went on with the special RMP tool.

Rubber Mallet Persuasion

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just did the same thing and got mad. I used a big block of wood and a big hammer. Its the o-rings for sure.

If you are SURE the splines are into the coupler, then go ahed and hammer, if not you will ruin the coupler when you hammer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

with everything lined up properly you should be able to slide it to within 3/16ths of an inch.Check the shift shoes to make sure there in a straight line,
If the alignment bar is correct, then the drive should slip on.
If you can get another input shaft to test everything instead of fighting with the drive weight.If that goes in all the way then you have something wrong with the install or the alignmnent is off.
Should you want to test the O ring theory, just remove them first and see if it now fits.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes you have to get the drive shaft splines lined up with the coupler splines. May take rotating the prop shaft counter clockwise a bit.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

shift shoe and foot on bottom or follower on shift cable slide falls out grease will help hold it in place and the orings need slight grease and should go to about a 3/16 or so.

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

the gear lever lines up and are carefully watched as i try to get it all the way!

it enters the splines fine, ins a good half way on the splines when it stops.

tried without the orings but no luck, stops at the same place. when i move the drive up and sown i can see that its the driveshaft it stops on. its not anything the joints can get hung up on? tryed remove and install many times, and it stops at just the same position every time. the bolts just get flush threw the holes on the drive.

checked the gimbal bearing and the aligment too, but everything is just fine!

i guess i'll just try more :rolleyes:

the only thing that is changed is the coupler on the flywheel. from a type that is boltet on the center of the flywheel, to a type that is boltet longer out on the flywheel. i tried the coupler on the splines on the drive, and it matched good..

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Again, block of wood & a hammer. Pound it on gently.

Had the EXACT same thing happen, and was scared to hit it. Once I did, it went right on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There is no need to "pound" an outdrive on. The pic shows the shift shoes in neutral ,foward gear would be in a straight line facing you,bow to stern, etc.
shiftshoes.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I personally would like to see a post back on the finished results of this re-install without using persuation of a mallet and the solution to the outdrive not seating into place. I'm preparing to do this same job in a few months.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I don't have a Merc but when I install my OMC Cobra I put grease on the drive shaft splines...some motor oil on the o-rings...and as long as I get it lined up right it'll slide on to about 1/8 away from the pivot housing and the rest is taken up tightening the mounting nuts...never had to kick or hammer it on....I'd do as suggested...try it without the o-rings temporarily to see if that's the problem....and don't put grease on the o-rings only motor oil.....finally check and see if there is a chunk of dried up grease in the part of the coupler that the driveshaft fits into (look with a flashlight) clean it out if so.....

-stig-

Seaman Apprentice

hello!

thanks for feedback!

the drive slide right on when i tapped it a bit!

works just fine! when out on the lake yesterday, freezing cold, but it was worth it:D

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

hello!

thanks for feedback!

the drive slide right on when i tapped it a bit!

works just fine! when out on the lake yesterday, freezing cold, but it was worth it:D

Too cool!

I mean your getting it working...never too cool to go boating!

Happy boating!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I agree...Glad you got out AND thanks for the update.
Too many guys just post an issue without getting back with results..Unless they were bad of course.lol