Can't get Johnson 35HP to pump water!

rockjul

Recruit
I just worked on a Johnson Super Sea Horse 35. I cannot find a model number but I did locate the serial#, which is 1992876 how do I find out what year this is. I would like to buy a manual. This is a motor My father bought. The motor runs pretty smooth but backfires once in awhile, I think it is sucking air in the fuel line. I am planning to replace them. I can't get the motor to pump water thru the output that is above the water. I pulled the thermostat out and flushed water thru the motor,I think. I started the motor with the thermostat cover off and the thermostat removed, primed the side where the thermostat sits.
The motor started pumping water I replaced the cover while the motor was running and I began to get some water coming out the output above the water. After re-starting the motor the water did not pump again until I took off the cover and primed it again. now the water does not pump even after priming it. The motor is in a 35 gallon trash can filled with water. the water is about 4 inches above the water pick up screens. The motor had set for a few years and probably has not been started for awhile, maybe 2-3 years. does anyone have any Ideas on the water problem. By the way I did pull the impeller and it is in suprisingly good condition still soft and no signs of dryrought.

any info appreciated!!

rockjul:confused:

Walker

Captain
Re: Can't get Johnson 35HP to pump water!

You put a new pump in it so you know where it is in the leg. The water in the barrel has to be above that level. You should have replaced the impellor while you had it apart no matter what the old impellor looked like.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, so you admit that you removed the thermostat. Did you remove the plastic housing and check valve too? If so, put them back. It won't work without those parts.

rockjul

Recruit

I did not pull the check valve or plastic housing. It would not pump with or without the themostat.

CATransplant

Admiral

How did the impeller key look? Did you make sure it was in place when you reinstalled the impeller? If it is not in there, the impeller won't turn, and no water will be pumped.

Also, you need to check for flow through the water tube(s). Since you don't say what model this is, it could have one or two tubes.

That check valve you didn't remove can also cause problems if it is defective.

So, it looks to me like you need to drop that lower unit again, put in a NEW impeller and make sure the key is in place. Make sure the water tube(s) are clear.

Finally, as you put the lower unit back on, make absolutely certain that the grommets in the water pump housing don't fold over as the tubes enter them. That will also block water flow.

Also make sure you put a new o-ring at the top of the driveshaft and grease the splines.

It's not a terribly hard job, but it's a little nitpicky when you're reassembling the lower unit to the leg. There are several places where errors can creep in.

aguitarestv

Seaman

are you absallutly sure its not pumping water? because thoose to ports you where talking about might be exaust ports,not sure on that motor though, but in that case there would be very little or no water coming out. does the motor overheat? hot light or horn com on?

CATransplant

Admiral

are you absallutly sure its not pumping water? because thoose to ports you where talking about might be exaust ports,not sure on that motor though, but in that case there would be very little or no water coming out. does the motor overheat? hot light or horn com on?

Actually, on those old Big Twins, the exhaust relief ports spit out a good deal of water, idling. You really can tell if you're pumping water or not.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

are you sure you got the water tube lined up and inserted. i miss one i would have sworn was right. and what year is it.

rockjul

Recruit

I am sure I got the tubes lined up. I did check the the key on the impeller and it was in place and the impeller was soft and not dryrotted. As I mentioned earlier I cannot find a model # on the motor only the serial#1992876. Does anyone know where the model # would be? Can running the motor in a drum create a wirlpool effect because of the exaust and the motor does not pick up water because of a vortex in the water? Is there a distinguishing part on the motor that will give the year of the motor? Many of the parts have part#'s on them. I know the water ports were not blocked it was pumping water after I took out thermostat and while the motor was running used a hose ond forced water into the tube under the thermostat cover that runs thru the head. I then took the hose away and the water began to come up from the impeller side . I then replaced the t-stat cover and the water was coming out the exaust/water port at the rear of the motor. after the motor stalled I re-started it and the water did not start pumping again untill I went thru the same priming process again. If I runn the hose thru the tube to the heads it comes out the rear exaust/water port and the water is warm. I would assume it is going thru the heads.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Based on the serial # it's around a 1957 as Johnson hit 2million in 58/59 or so I believe. Post a pic and we'll be able to tell.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What's the color pattern? Is it metal and cream with a red stripe (58) or red with a cream stripe (57) ? Or is it a white fibreglass hood (59)? In 56 it was a 30 hp and in 60 it was a 40 hp.

Lloyd135

Recruit

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and new to outboard repairs so please be patient....I have a 1981 35 HP Johnson seahorse and have just test run it in a barrel. It appears to be spitting lots of water and exhaust out the rear, but very little from the tube exiting the bottom of the power head.......I didn't run it for long so don,t know about thermostat opening.....what should I be looking for.....many thanks....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow. That's reviving an old thread. Welcome to the iboats forum but please start a new thread with your question otherwise nobody else will see it other than the ones that are on this thread...