Cant find a part

ArneA

Seaman
After going to ebay many times and to craigslist many times, I still cant find a part that I need to locate. If someone can help out with this, I would appreciate it very much...Looking for a tiller grip. Just the plastic end that is griped and turned for speed control...1956 AD 10 7.5 hp Johnson. Have found several complete tiller units but I only need the plastic grip. Does Iboats have a used part link that I could look through?
Thank you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cant find a part

Google the antique outboard motor association and you may find one there.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thank you Nwcove. I didn't know exactly where to send him.

nwcove

Admiral

a bit pricey, but i find that used ones are usually quite brittle after 50-60 years.

ArneA

Seaman

Thank you for the information at nymarine...I have emailed to find out the price in US dollars....Seems like it is not a cheap part. I appreciate your help. Would still like to find a used one I will have to wait until I get a quote in dollars...

ArneA

Seaman

Yea, they are pricey...Mine has become brittle and cracked and broken...Considering I paid $60 for this old motor , the grip at nymarine is half that price alone...This was my first rebuild and with all the parts ordered I have a few hundred bucks in this motor... Most of the rebuild has been done with the help of the great people at Iboats...I would have never known what to do without your great help.
thanks again.

nwcove

Admiral

you will find that all used (or nos if you can find nos) grips have become almost like bakelite, and the slightest bump will put you back to square one. ( dont ask how i found that out!! :facepalm: lol)

ArneA

Seaman

I might be stuck looking for a used one...n y marine wants 14 bucks shipping plus the price of the grip.....thats getting way up there. I will just hang in there a while. Someone might view this post and have the part just sitting around....

nwcove

Admiral

you could also google doug penn, and drop him a note. great guy, and good prices. but as mentioned....those original grips have become somewhat delicate. jmo

ArneA

Seaman

Thank you for the referral to Mr. Penn...I have written to him ...In the mean time, if you know of anyone else that might help, please let me know
thank you.

ArneA

Seaman

Still looking...Mr. Penn does not have one....Keep my search in the back of your mind,,,(not too far back) should you run across this grip.
Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked out some of the salvage yards in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page?

ArneA

Seaman

dont seem to be able to find anything that says top secret files.........still looking

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look at the top of the page the posts are on, actually the first post.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arne,have you considered going to your local bike shop to see if they have anything suitable.Whatever you get will prolly be better than an ancient used one.

ArneA

Seaman

that is something I can check out...probably a lot better than vise grips.... Still looking...Have written to several salvage yards. NYMarine in Canada has them but $30 plus $14 shipping is just a bit much...I am sure someone will see my post and have, or know someone that has, this grip lying around..
Thank you.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does it have to b e a 1956 plastic grip? I think I have cut the brass sprocket shaft on a few older models and used grips from mid 80's 25-35 hp tiller grips. they worked fine, in fact I have a 57 rude I just did this mod on a few weeks ago, looks nice and perfectly functional.
If you wish to see it 10 hp evinrude - YouTube