can't drop lower unit???

mkbaquet

Cadet
Model # J30ELENR
It's about a 1993 model. I'm trying to change the impeller. I searched the forums but cannot find my problem. The threads in the forum talk about a shift linkage under the carburator. I cannot find one. I spoke to a local outboard mechanic by phone & he said there is not a linkage under the carb. But when the lower unit drops (as it does), there is about a 3/4 in. gap. He said in there I should see a brass coupling with 2 screws. I should undo the lower screw & it should drop right off. Well... there is no such thing visible. Can you tell me what to do next????
Thus far, I have taken off the 4 bolts to the lower unit as well as the upper one. I can force the lower unit down about 3/4 inches but no more.
Thanks
Mike

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: can't drop lower unit???

Take off water inlet screens you will see shift rod loosen nut on it you need 2 7/16 wrenches then lift top nut and you will see plastic keeper take off then as you slide motor a little farther you will be able to take brass nut out

mkbaquet

Cadet

ok...got the 2 brass nuts seperated. the lower unit drops but the upper brass nut keeps me from being able to remove the impeller housing. does that top brass nut come off? i don't want to force it. I tried unscrewing it but nothing happens.

mkbaquet

Cadet

The upper brass nut is on a long thin metal tubing that runs uo into the motor.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

yes the brass nut comes off at the end of the rod there is a little plastic keeper that tholds the brass nut on you remove the keeper and the nut comes off but dont loose the keeper its very important

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

slide the brass nut up the rod and at the end of rod there is a little plastic piece thats wrapped around the rod it has a little split in it take it off. thats the way my 93 25 is basiclly same motor

mkbaquet

Cadet

I looked closely & the brass nut is on a snall metal rod. There is no plastic keeper that I can see.

mkbaquet

Cadet

I posted the last comment before I got your reply. I'll go try to slide the nut up the rod....
Thank you very much for helping me.....

mkbaquet

Cadet

ok...got the shaft out & the impeller seems to be corroded to the shaft. Are there any tricks to getting it off. I've sprayed a penetrating oil on ot & tried to tap it off with no luck but I didn't want to tap too much before asking.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

I use a rubber mallet and sometimes it takes a few hard hits. after you get it off take emery cloth and get rust off.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

dont forget there is a key in there holding it you can put a screw driver on impella and hit with hammer the most you will do is wreck the impella and your replacing that.