cant drop lower unit

fierro

Cadet
I just purchased a black max xr-2 mercury.the gears that go to the prop have two broken teeth.I went to pull the lower unit ,put it in gear and i cannot seperate the unit to pull it off.Its as if it is stuck any suggestions.

Opti-missed

Cadet
Re: cant drop lower unit

did u remove the screw that is facing upwards behind the round zinc over the prop?

fierro

Cadet

I actually have about a half inch gap betwen lower unit andpower head.

Opti-missed

Cadet

i was shooting for the obvious but sounds like u have it covered. not sure what to tell you. mine fall like bricks when i pull the last screw. good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you disconnect the shift rod?

fierro

Cadet

I dont know where to disconect the shift rod.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

No need to disconnect the shift shaft, it's splined and will just slide apart....

Moody Blue

Captain

Had the same issue with my 40Hp. Was able to get some wedges in-between the lower unit and drive shaft housing and gently force them apart. The driveshaft splines were a little stuck in the crankshaft. In fact there was a spring loaded pin on the end of the driveshaft that was completely seized up. If you are certain ALL the fasteners are removed, try gently forcing the lower unit apart using wooden wedges. Space one on either side, one at the front and one at the rear. Sequentially tap the wedges in tighter a little at a time. You should see some movement. If you don't, stop. You don't want to be breaking anything.

fierro

Cadet

good idea . wedges went in about another half inch and unit dropped like a rock. thank you much.

Moody Blue

Captain

Glad that worked out fierro. Just finished putting mine back together. Will start it up tomorrow for the first time this year and check things out.

fierro

Cadet

awsome,i need to get mine back together.our lake is just about to fill back up.we had a pretty bad drought but we got through it this year. plenty of snow.thanks again.