Cannot Get Dust Cap On!!!

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One of the dust caps disappeared off my trailer. It's probably at the bottom of the Mystic River. So no problem, cheap and easy enough to replace. Or so I thought......
I bought a new set and try as I might, I cannot get them on. They have to be the right size, they're way too close to not fit. And yet, they self destruct before actually getting in there. It's madness!!! I tried hammering the body, I tried hammering the lip with a screw driver. No matter what I try, they do not fit. It makes me think there was a manufacturing problem and they made them 2.000" instead of the 1.988" they are supposed to be, because that's about how close they are. Any other tips or suggesting? This is driving me insane.

Attachments

• IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
are you sure that there isn't some crud or grit in the space in the hub where they are supposed to fit? When I had a 3500 5 lug axle I used a piece of PVC pipe to drive those on and it worked well. Forget the size but you can probably figure it out pretty easily. The do make tools to remove and install these caps that make it a lot easier (I have them for the new axle I installed recently).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Short price of 2” PVC, 6” of 2x4 and a hammer
Works every time

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Measure the hub and the cap with calipers.

Out of curiosity what is the outer cup/race number? That will tell you the diameter of the hub.

BTW...they do make 2" as well as 1.988" dust caps.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Had same issue last season,drove me nutz,they just wouldnt go on, and gave the covers a pass on the grinder and they went on easily.Probably can do same with sandpaper in hand.They are just a smidgett off.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
BTW replace the covers with bearing buddies.ZERO downside to it including the price.Charlie

l008com

It is summer and I'm back trying to deal with this. The new problem is every auto parts store around is out of stock, ugh. I looked up this post hoping I mentioned where I got the last pack from but no luck. Then I still have to deal with installing it. I do have some PVC I can use, I think I tried that after it was suggested above and it didn't work. I do have a bench grinder so I guess I can try that if the PVC option fails.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I do have some PVC I can use, I think I tried that after it was suggested above and it didn't work.
2”, schedule 40 PVC
I do have a bench grinder so I guess I can try that if the PVC option fails.
The interference fit is what makes the seal. Grind off the “interference” and they will leak

briangcc

Commander
Always used a wooden mallet to gently seat them in the opening. Then place a 2x4 across the top of the dust cap and smash the ever living bejeebus out of the 2x4. Usually seats with the added bonus of relieving some stress :)

l008com

OH BOY it's story time.

So I pulled one of the caps out of the 2 pack I bought today and grabbed a nice piece of 2" PVC, a scrap of 2x4 and a rubber mallet.

I beat the **** out of that thing but it would not go on. Eventually it deformed the lip and cap #3 was ruined.

On to cap #4. Last one, so I had to try something different. So I brought it inside and gave it a slightly beveled edge with my bench grinder. I used some high grit sandpaper to smooth out the grinder's work. Then I went to hammer it on. And after enough hammer, guess what! It friggin worked! It finally slipped on. So I guess that's the secret.

BUT WAIT, there's more! I didn't get out of the water until after 11 so I was driving home with roads to myself. I hit a bumper section and I swear I heard something fall off my truck. Yeah yeah we all know where this story is going. It wasn't the one I hammered in though! It was the other one!
The one I hammered in was being hammered in because one of the last times I used the boat trailer, it disappeared. So I guess I need to go buy ANOTHER four caps so I can get one on tight on the new side!!
I was able to get the one that fell out mostly back in by hand, then I hammered it with a wrench to get it fully inserted. Then by the time I got home, it was almost falling off again. What a pain in the ass! No idea why these caps are self-ejecting after many many years.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OH BOY it's story time.

So I pulled one of the caps out of the 2 pack I bought today and grabbed a nice piece of 2" PVC, a scrap of 2x4 and a rubber mallet.

I beat the **** out of that thing but it would not go on. Eventually it deformed the lip and cap #3 was ruined.

On to cap #4. Last one, so I had to try something different. So I brought it inside and gave it a slightly beveled edge with my bench grinder. I used some high grit sandpaper to smooth out the grinder's work. Then I went to hammer it on. And after enough hammer, guess what! It friggin worked! It finally slipped on. So I guess that's the secret.

BUT WAIT, there's more! I didn't get out of the water until after 11 so I was driving home with roads to myself. I hit a bumper section and I swear I heard something fall off my truck. Yeah yeah we all know where this story is going. It wasn't the one I hammered in though! It was the other one!
The one I hammered in was being hammered in because one of the last times I used the boat trailer, it disappeared. So I guess I need to go buy ANOTHER four caps so I can get one on tight on the new side!!
I was able to get the one that fell out mostly back in by hand, then I hammered it with a wrench to get it fully inserted. Then by the time I got home, it was almost falling off again. What a pain in the ass! No idea why these caps are self-ejecting after many many years.
At this point I’ve removed and installed 100 or so caps (4 x25 yrs) on my tandem trailer and have only bent 2-3 and lost two.

The caps are “interference” fits that take some finesse, to install. If you find yourself smashing the ***** out of them your doing something wrong or the part is out of spec.

As an interference fit, your dealing with pretty tight tolerances. If you have to “grind” to fit your definitely out of tolerance and failure is guaranteed from the get go.

Couple of things I’ve found over the years…..
There are “good” (heavy material) caps and there are “junk” (light material) caps. The difference between 0.025” and 0.030 material is substantial in its ability to retain its shape which brings up the next point.
85CDB87A-46DC-4A33-89B0-19C1C56F169C.jpeg
Most of the time (95%) the “drive sleeve” is bent or out of round right out of the box.

You will never drive them w/o distorting or outright destroying them unless corrected.
Spend the time to inspect, measure and correct the issue prior to installation. I use a pair of dial calipers and spin the drive sleeve in the jaws to measure the run out.

If out of round, quite often you can you use a wooden dowel, run around the inside with hand pressure to work out the kinks. If too bad, I resort to a pair of needle nose pliers to adjust.

One other thing… get rid of the dead blow for installation. The rubber is absorbing a significant portion of the drive energy. A 32oz. ball peen hammer works like a charm

l008com

Update:

So I went to autozone, grabbed another pair of caps. I went home, removed the one that had fallen out last time I was towing. I went to hammer in the new one and of course, it didn't go and eventually got deformed. Note that both were fine from the start.

So now I'm down to just one, yet again, so I bring it in and give it the bezel trick again. Then I go hammer it on and like before, eventually it does slide in there.

I get a few unrelated things done, I hook up the trailer and I'm ready to go. I need to stop at my moms house to grab something then I'm off to the ramp. I go up a bumpy section of road - this is massachusetts, good luck avoiding them.... and what do I hear? THAT GODDAMN MOTHER****ING NO GOOD PIECE OF **** CAP that I JUST hammered on, flying down the street!!!!
This section of road is lined with overgrown weeds. So I pulled over and searched for 10 minutes but I could not find the cap.

I don't understand what is going on here? How can they be so tight it is impossible to hammer them in without destroying them, AND so loose they bounce out in the first 10 minutes of driving?

Keep in mind this bezel I put in them is VERY subtle. Just a tiny bit of metal taken off the first few milimeters, just enough to let it slide in. I think all of the caps i've had are Carry On brand 1.988", maybe they just make garbage caps?

Does anyone make a cap that actually has some kind of bolt based compression locking system built in so you can tighten them with a wrench and know they're not falling off?

I had been looking forward to this boat ride all day so I decided to just go anyway. So now I need to clean out and regrease the whole hub. Which isn't that big a job but it's still a pain to do. And what's the point if the next cap is just going to fly right out again.

Are there hubs that have a different design entirely and don't have this problem? Or again, just some other kind of cap that locks on in some better way and will actually stay in place?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind this bezel I put in them is VERY subtle. Just a tiny bit of metal taken off the first few milimeters, just enough to let it slide in.
I repeat…..do not modify!!!
The difference between a “press fit” and a “slip fit” is 0.0005”. That “tiny bit of metal” you shaved off is what holds them in place.

Or again, just some other kind of cap that locks on in some better way and will actually stay in place?
It’s not the hubs or caps. You can’t make modifications to a part and expect it to perform as advertised.

Follow the procedure I posted above. Use a piece of 2” PVC or get the proper dust cap driver tool
Excalibur Wheel Accessories 1.986 Dust Cap Driver

l008com

I followed the proceedure, I did use 2" PVC and a scrap of 2x4 and a hammer. The unmodified caps would NOT go on without destroying themselves. Out of the 6 caps I bought this year, 4 were unmodified and all 4 were destroyed while trying to hammer them on. There's something not right, either with the hubs themselves or theres a bad batch of caps out there.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Call Eastern Marine in Newark Delaware and ask which brand are good and order enough for your hubs from them. They are good for customer service. Also inspect the inside of the flange on your hubs, is there a burr or surface that isn’t machined right?