Canning tomato juice

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
We're swamped with tomatoes this year and are looking into canning tomato juice. We've already canned 14 quarts of tomatoes and will can another 15 quarts tomorrow. I really loved the juice left over after canning the tomatoes and would love to can some juice. I've seen a few of you mention it in previous threads. What do you say?<br />Bassy :)

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Canning tomato juice

Especially good for home made bolonese sauce :) <br /><br />My mother bottles tomatoes every year, usually about 350. The whole family plays a part in helping but only she knows the complete process. <br /><br />She always buys over ripe and then boils them up in a big witches vat out in the backyard, adding herbs and spices - which she keeps secret. She won't even tell my wife or daughter although at 82 years old, she's beginning to crack.<br /><br />Sometimes I think I can hear her chanting :p

Stratosfied

Ensign

Hey Bassy, got any extras, send 'em to me!! I love fresh tomatoes, and peas and cornbread and squash and pork chops and...I gotta stop, I'm making myself hungry! ;)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> Hey Bassy, got any extras, send 'em to me!! I love fresh tomatoes.
I would be happy to. ;) We have so many. I have 2 five gallon buckets on the porch waiting for canning tomorrow. And there are still lots ripe on the vine. What to do,what to do?<br />Bassy

Link

Rear Admiral

Well in years past we started making home made Salsa Sauce..and gave what we couldn't eat to friends. Hmmm good.<br /><br />Have a idea... send me one of both.. I will pay for shipping and jars etc.. then next year will send to you??<br /><br />linkjackman1 at MSN.com<br />Good Food doesnt need to go to waste.. :D :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I don't have the storage for canning but I have two freezers so I blanch them, remove the skins, give em a squeeze and cook them down for a couple of hours. Then I package them in quart size freezer bags. They hardly take up any space since they lie flat.<br /><br />I make an italian mix, a mexican mix, a cajun mix, regular stewed, and then a batch of crushed tomatoes.<br /><br />I love having them available in the dead of winter and they are so much better than store bought canned.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassy,<br /><br />This is a recipe from the web my wife used last year - it makes darned good tomato juice. Her's was even better 'cause she played with the seasoning - a bit more than just lemon juice and salt. Have fun!<br /><br />
Canned Tomato Juice<br /> <br />Quantity: An average of 23 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts, or an average of 14 pounds per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 53 pounds and yields 15 to 18 quarts of juice--an average of 3-1/4 pounds per quart.<br /> <br /> Procedure: Wash, remove stems, and trim off bruised or discolored portions. To prevent juice from separating, quickly cut about 1 pound of fruit into quarters and put directly into saucepan. Heat immediately to boiling while crushing. Continue to slowly add and crush freshly cut tomato quarters to the boiling mixture. Make sure the mixture boils constantly and vigorously while you add the remaining tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes after you add all pieces. If you are not concerned about juice separation, simply slice or quarter tomatoes into a large saucepan. Crush, heat, and simmer for 5 minutes before juicing.<br /> <br />Press both types of heated juice through a sieve or food mill to remove skins and seeds. Add bottled lemon juice or citric acid to jars. Heat juice again to boiling. Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jars, if desired. Fill jars with hot tomato juice, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process following to the instructions in Table 1, Table 2, or Table 3 according to the method of canning used.<br /> <br /> Table 1. Recommended process time for Tomato Juice in a boiling-water canner.<br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Pints.<br /> Process Time at Altitudes of <br /> 0 - 1,000 ft: 35 min.<br /> 1,001 - 3,000 ft: 40 min.<br /> 3,001 - 6,000 ft: 45 min.<br /> Above 6,000 ft: 50 min.<br /> <br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Quarts.<br /> Process Time at Altitudes of <br /> 0 - 1,000 ft: 40 min.<br /> 1,001 - 3,000 ft: 45 min.<br /> 3,001 - 6,000 ft: 50 min.<br /> Above 6,000 ft: 55 min.<br /> <br /> Table 2. Recommended process time for Tomato Juice in a dial-gauge pressure canner.<br /> <br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Pints.<br /> Process Time: 20 min.<br /> Canner Gauge Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of <br /> 0 - 2,000 ft: 6 lb.<br /> 2,001 - 4,000 ft: 7 lb.<br /> 4,001 - 6,000 ft: 8 lb.<br /> 6,001 - 8,000 ft: 9 lb.<br /> <br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Quarts.<br /> Process Time: 15 min.<br /> Canner Gauge Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of <br /> 0 - 2,000 ft: 11 lb.<br /> 2,001 - 4,000 ft: 12 lb.<br /> 4,001 - 6,000 ft: 13 lb.<br /> 6,001 - 8,000 ft: 14 lb.<br /> <br /> Table 3. Recommended process time for Tomato Juice in a weighted-gauge pressure canner.<br /> <br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Pints.<br /> Process Time: 20 min.<br /> Canner Gauge Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes <br /> 0 - 1,000 ft: 5 lb.<br /> Above 1,000 ft: 10 lb.<br /> <br /> Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Quarts.<br /> Process Time: 15 min.<br /> Canner Gauge Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes <br /> 0 - 1,000 ft: 10 lb.<br /> Above 1,000 ft: 15 lb.<br /> <br /> <br /><br />

fireman57

Captain

If you freeze them first before you can them they will lose all the water that shows up in the top of the jar. It saves hours of boiling it down until it gets thick. Just thaw them in the sink, run them through the Victorio strainer, heat just a little, and can them. No clear liquid at the top and the nicest thickest juice you will want. Great for soups and stews too.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. We canned another 18 quarts of whole peeled tomatoes today. Tomorrow is juice time. Thanks for all your advice. Yum!<br />Bassy