Canning recipes

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anyone in canning? Just bought me a new Mirror 12Qt canner and was needing some info on soem things to can and how to get them ready. Anyone know a website that tells a person that?<br />Want to can some tomatoes and such.<br />Thanks

SpinnerBait_Nut

Re: Canning recipes

Oh never mind, the wife just walked in with a big ol recipe book just for canners. Look out garden. :D

JB

:D at SBN.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

:D SBN! Have a great time. Mr. Bassy and I got into canning a little last year, alot more this year and oh boy! We're not done yet. We need more canning jars! Have fun! Its a great feeling providing for yourself.<br />Bassy

KRS

Banned

A GREAT reference is your local county extension office, they even have manual, pamphlets, etc.<br /><br />Good luck!

woodrat

Ensign

Look for a book called "the encyclopedia of country living" by Carla Emery

ehenry

Commander

SBN, I did a bunch of canning this year. Snap beans, tomatoes and such. Your canner should have come with a book of recipies. Ball jars has an excellent canning book. Just be sure you use pure canning salt. Regular table salt with get cloudy int he jars after they sit for a while.<br /><br /> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ <br /><br />The Ball canning book is like a bible for canning. <br /><br /> http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_bl-21400.htm

SpinnerBait_Nut

"Run Mr. Bean, here comes that guy with the new canner again." :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well, 78 quarts later, I have canned beans. :D <br />Wife says, "we are out of jars", I say, "no problem"<br />I runs out to the local store and buy 9 cases. :eek: <br /><br />I walk in and wife faints. :D <br />She says, "we don't have that many beans"<br />I say, "oh yes we do, my neighbor said I could have all I wanted out of his garden"<br /><br />Wife faints again. :D <br /><br />So, back to the canner. :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

We're at 42 quarts of tomatoes and 20 quarts of tomato juice and tomatoes are still coming on. Went out and bought two more cases of jars this week. We can relate SBN. Fun ain't it?<br />Bassy

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> We're at 42 quarts of tomatoes and 20 quarts of tomato juice and tomatoes are still coming on. Went out and bought two more cases of jars this week. We can relate SBN. Fun ain't it?<br />Bassy
Hey Bassy, do you dip and skin or just peel?<br />You hot water bathing them or canning?<br />10 or 5 #?<br /><br />Yea, I am having a blast doing this. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Hey Bassy, do you dip and skin or just peel?<br />You hot water bathing them or canning?<br />10 or 5 #?<br /><br />
We blanch them first(rinse, boil with skin on for about 5 minutes, skin splits, put in cold water bath to cool and then peel.) Canning I guess if you mean boiling them with lids on for about 50 minutes with lids on. We can 9 quarts at a time. No weighing, just get busy and look up when the two 5 gallon buckets are empty. We're canning spaghetti sauce this week. Yum! Have fun!<br /> Hey do you add lemon juice or citric acid? We use lemon juice,but I'm interested in why one would use citric acid. Just curious if its better and why.<br />Bassy