Cancer isn't a nice thing

11 footer

Lieutenant
My great- aunt was told she had cancer a few mounths ago, she's been a heavy smoker all her life. <br /><br />I saw her six mounths ago, right before she found out, she looked fine.<br /><br />Then I saw her again at a family thing last mounth, I couldn't beleave it. She was about 80pounds, looked like skin and bones, it was sad. At that point she had tryed kemo(sp) and it didn't work, it cancer was spreading threw her body, it was in her bones.<br /><br />Tonight we just got some bad news, the doctors can no longer do anything for her, they said she has about a week left. They sent her home and a nusre is taking care of her trying to keep her out a pain. To make things even worse her grandson's wedding is a week from Friday, they had planed on her going, but now they don't know if she'll make it that long. It really is sad.<br /><br />I'm not sad because I'll miss her, she really didn't have much of a impact on me, she was just someone who I would see at family get-togethers, but what a way to die its been hard to watch and hear about.<br /><br />You guys(and girls) trying to quit smokeing, do it don't go threw this.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cancer isn't a nice thing

Yes Ryan, it is tough.<br />I watched my Dad go through this, although not from smoking, but from doing body work all his life.<br />The fumes and dust finally got to him in 1985 and I lost him and yes, it was bad watching someone go from a very active person to a person that could not take care of themself and not being able to do anything about it.<br /><br />He was just 4 year older than I am now.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Well, I can't even relate to that, SBN.<br /><br />Having it happen to your fauther must have been a nightmare.<br /><br />This is the first I've known who had it and I acutally see how fast it happens.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Ryan T, I know its tough. I lost a grandma and a uncle both to cancer within 6 months of each other. They were mother and son, neither one of them smoked. I smoke, know its bad but I can't contribute smoking to 100% of cancer. Its yhe enviorment we live in.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by cajun555:<br /> Ryan T, I know its tough. I lost a grandma and a uncle both to cancer within 6 months of each other. They were mother and son, neither one of them smoked. I smoke, know its bad but I can't contribute smoking to 100% of cancer. Its yhe enviorment we live in.
That's right.<br />My Dad never smoked a day in his life that I can recall.<br />We use to chew some Mail Pouch ever once in a while, but I never seen or heard of him smoking.<br /><br />Some people live and work with it all their lives and some are goners in 6 months.<br /><br />It works on different people differently.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear that Ryan.. <br /><br />All too framiliar... My grandmother, a long time smoker, battled lung cancer, and heart problems caused by the cancer, for years before she passed.. She did pretty darn good after they initially caught the cancer and removed parts of both lungs.. She was even back to playing golf and running with her bingo buddys for a while, but heart problems soon followed and the cancer eventually came back..<br /><br />Trying to run a marathon while breathing thru a straw.. Thats what it's like..<br /><br />My Pop smoked for years after watching his mom die from lung cancer.... Now you would think that seeing the effects would cause a body to quit cold turkey.. Not so... My Mom and I finaly had it out with my Pop about his smoking.. I basicly had to threaten him into quiting and mom said she might even help in the butt kicking... Fortunately it did'nt get that far, but i would have... (now he's addicted to mints) :) <br /><br /> Take care of your lungs kiddo... Only ones ya got..... Do whatever it takes to help keep people you care about from taking up or pursuing that nasty habbit...

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Our babysitters husband just passed last week from cancer. He was in excellant health otherwise. The doctors told him about a year ago he had it and chemo was not gonna help much. Bob decided to live life and forget about the cancer. He did real well other than a couple of episodes were he had to be hospitilized. They put him back in the hospital on fathers day, he died a few days later. Remember the aunt for her, not the cancer. Gotta stop now, tears are kinda screwing things up for me.

James Bond

Seaman

My mom was diagnosed with cancer a little over a year ago.....she's been through 3 different chemo rounds (about 12 treatments in all) and so far none of them have helped, she's on her last kind of chemo before they call it quits. It's really hard for me, being that I'm only 25, and I live in Oklahoma and she lives in Ohio. I'm going to definately go home in a few weeks for her birthday, she'll be 51. She just had another chemo tratment today, with the new drugs, this reminds me, I need to send her some flowers tomorrow, that always seems to cheer her up.

James Bond

Seaman

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Gotta stop now, tears are kinda screwing things up for me.
I completely understand......it's been happening to me quite a bit lately, but it's good to have somewhere to vent a little, and have people listen.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is hard! <br />My little brother and I were only 20 months apart in age. I lost him to cancer in 1995. He was 34. He was my best friend. I lost my dad to asbestos poisoning in 1990, and my oldest brother to a heart attack in 1994. <br />Sigh.... :( <br />Such is life I guess.

gaugeguy

Captain

Sorry to hear that Ryan. Cancer does suck, I've lost 4 family members to it (lung, stomach and pancreatic and only one of them smoked). It seems like eveyones lives have been touched by cancer in one way or another.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My wife's grandmother just went through it. Or should I say we all just went through it. Diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago, they got all that with radiation / chemo, then summer 2003 she started acting funny and upon exam they found over 20 tumors in her head. Inoperable. She made it months longer then they said she would, but I know what you mean about all of a sudden turning bad. One day I saw her she looked great, then I saw her again a few weeks later and you could tell it was coming, she was just not there anymore. <br /><br />She was a lifelong smoker, she quit when they found the lung cancer, unfortunately that was too late.... :(

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

WHAT CANCER CAN'T DO<br />Cancer is so limited...<br />It cannot criple love<br />It cannot shatter hope<br />It cannot erode faith<br />It cannot eat away peace<br />It cannot destroy confidence<br />It cannot kill friendship<br />It cannot shut out memories<br />It cannot silence courage<br />It cannot invade the soul<br />It cannot reduce eternal life<br />It cannot quench the spirit<br />It cannot lesson the power or the resurrection<br />If an incurable disease has invaded your life, refuse to let it touch your spirit. Your body can be severely afflicted and you may have a great struggle. But if you keep trusting God's love, your spirit will remain strong. Why must I bear this pain? I cannot tell, I only know my Lord does all things well, and so I trust in God my all in all. For he will bring me through whatever befalls. Our greatest enemy is not disease but despair.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lost my son in 2002 to cancer. He was 5 years old. He never had a chance to do anything bad to cause cancer. He just got it. Colter was one of twins. His brother misses him dearly as well as the rest of the family. Some days it is hard to just get up. Those dreams can really take it out of ya.Cancer is getting more common every day. I think the air we breath could be as much to blame as any tobacco product or insecticide. It is the world we live in today that is causing it.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I lost my Dad 12 years ago and my little brother 7 years ago to cancer. Those were very tough times but I can't imagine what you have gone through Sivart. Hang in there, it'll get better with God's help.<br /><br />LF & I have been in Jamaica Beach for alomost 14 years. Every election, no matter what level, there has been an elderly man standing at the stoplight every morning for a couple of weeks prior to the election passing out fliers. His name is John Porter and he takes it on himself to pay for printing his handouts which just remind everyone to vote and list the names and/or issues to be decided upon. We just finally met him at a function on Memorial Day weekend. I found out later that he is a retired Air Force colonel who flew missions in WW II, Korea and VietNam. He went in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Now he is at home with 24 hour hospice. Full of cancer. We had wanted to get to know him better and like everything else it was "one of these days we'll give him a call", now it's too late. I guess there's a lesson there.