Canadian Iboats? For Admins...

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
I started thinking why I don't buy things from iboats. Marine prices in Canada are expensive but when I check iboats prices are much better.<br /><br />So why don't I buy anything?<br /><br />With past experiences, when a 19.99 product ships to Canada shipping is comprable to shipping in U.S. but customs is not.<br /><br />That $19.99 product now becomes over $40.00 CDN an usually that turns out more expensive than buying it here.<br /><br />In addition, if I purchase a product and am not satisfied with, it is way too difficult to be refunded the duties on the product so you are stuck with it.....<br /><br />I only buy stuff on ebay from private sellers in the U.S. I have them address it as 'repaired item' which gets me out of duties. But iboats should and would not ever do this due to their own liability.<br /><br />Therefore I'm thinking of www.iboats.ca?<br /><br />If anyone would like to further discuss this personally, drop me a line at joe.sue.ferreira@sympatico.ca<br /><br />Boating is big here in Canada although a very short season. Retail sucks here.<br /><br />Just a thought.

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Canadian Iboats? For Admins...

Exactly what does customs do with items? and why does it get to you quicker and easier if labled repaired item? I'm very interested in the topic. Any way that I could figure out how to do it through a loophole in the laws here and I'd bounce on it in a heartbeat. It would be an immediately huge profit maker. Though I believe the <br />(F)ederal (B)utt (I)mpailers( :D ) would find a way to throw my arse into the clinker for it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it's labeled as a "gift", no duties at all.<br />I have shipped stuff to Canada plenty of times with no problem.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think i-boats.ca should be i-boats.cn<br /><br />i-boats.ca would be i-boats.california<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...(.ca)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

You know. There is really something wrong with this picture. Loop holes like these can be used for the wrong things guys. Yea, you may be harmless just sending little things like boat parts across. However, you are not the only ones using this loop hole.<br /><br />Disgusting really if you think about it.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Customs slaps significant duties on items coming from the U.S. Example:<br /><br />$20.00 U.S. item<br /><br />is<br /><br />$30.00 CDN<br /><br />Customs at a minimum imposes G.S.T. (Goods and Services Tax) which is 7%. This is a minimal tax. At times they impose other tariffs.<br /><br />$32.10<br /><br />Plus shipping<br /><br />$40.00 CDN for a $20.00 item.<br /><br />Usually I can get most things from a canadian supplier for less than this.<br /><br />If the item is labeled as 'Gift', 'Repaired', 'Sample', usually there is no tax payable.<br /><br />One of the problems between the U.S. and Canada is that although the U.S. dollar is worth more, things sold in Canada are sold around the dollar value. This is not a rule more of a trend.<br /><br />When I work for U.S. customers in the U.S., my employer charges the same hourly rate in U.S. funds as they charge in Canada in U.S. funds. It is what the market will allow.<br /><br />Better example, if you go to McDonalds for a meal in Canada, a Big Mac meal costs about $5 CDN.<br /><br />Well, if I go to the U.S. a Big Mac meal costs about the same $5 U.S.<br /><br />Bob in Calif. the '.ca' suffix is used to identify Canadian web sites just like '.uk' is used for British web sites, '.pt' is used for portuguese web sites etc.<br /><br />'.com' is used generally for many web sites buy the trend is for the sites to be American.<br /><br />To identify states or in Canada provinces, the web sites would be suffixed for Ontario web sites as '.on.ca'<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I find that interesting steam_mill. The last time I was in Canada, they accounted for the exchange rate.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

NAFTA allows free (wholesale) trade. I do tons<br />of biz in Ca. with no vat/gst, but I have resale<br />cert. and so do my buyers/vendors in Canada.<br />retail sales is diff. story alltogether...

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Certainly there are things that they do take into account on the exchange rate but don't assume that prices are incrementally higher in Canada based on exchange only. <br /><br />I think there are a whole bunch of other factors.<br /><br />Mellowyellow, you are indeed correct that with re-sale certifification it is a different story hence my suggestions for iboats.ca.<br /><br />Joe

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

steam-mill, once u add "retail" the Ca. govt can<br />tax at will and even overtax the stuff. It's a<br />way to try to keep sales up north I think. Iboats<br />has no control over what taxes r added after the<br />fact, so no way to cut out the govt (middleman),<br />at least legally. My best advice is to hop on the<br />ferry to Roch. and go to westmarine yurself for<br />what u need individually and smuggle it back home<br /> ;) .<br />if there was a way to do it, I think Iboats would<br />already be all over it.

Link

Rear Admiral

steam_mill <br />ROFLOL with a Bud of mine in Surrey BC right now in another window. :) A few years ago we were chatting online as we are now and I told him that I had just bought another VCR. He said give me your old one. So I said sure. Well I boxed it up (the vcr was worth about 20 bucks ) and mailed it.<br />It COST ME $20.00 US to mail it to him! We had a good laugh that night about his $40.00 VCR!<br /><br />When he picked it up later that week he had to pay $20.00 tax! <br /><br />So now we laugh about his $60.00 VCR! :D

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tough one guys. We would LOVE to sell more into Canada. We are taking things one step at a time, first, rule the USA, then take over the rest of the world. Unfortunately, I am still just trying to get the wife to go with what I say... sometimes ;)