Canada Specific: 1990 Cruiser 3070 Rogue, Buy?

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got here a 1990 cruisers yachts 3070 rogue 30 footer for 25 and some odd thousand. price must go down. im hoping for 22, or 23. what do you guys feel is good for a '90 rogue. NADA says 24 to 27. engine hours - 650. two merc I/O alphas with 5.7s

Now, for the other half...

I live in ontario, about 3 hours from the Michigan border. If I were to buy this honkin thing, what fees and taxes am i going to incur? am i going to have to pay duty? Am I going to get charged both taxes twice? They said freight is about 2,000 bucks... which seems like horse ****.

Thanks...

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Canada Specific: 1990 Cruiser 3070 Rogue, Buy?

1463502_2.jpg

1463502_4.jpg

1463502_1.jpg

rndn

Commander

You don't pay taxes here, but you will pay duty and taxes upon bringing it into Canada. Don't try to get away with paying less in taxes by saying you paid less for it as the penalties are not worth the trouble. Long story but my brother sold a boat to someon from Toronto, he lied, got caught and paid a huge fine and still had to pay the taxes, along with a four hour delay at the border.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be honest i've never bought anything from the states. I'll be buying it from a place called temptation yachts, How do they calculate the duty?

rndn

Commander

A receipt unless it's below the reasonable selling price. The situation I mentioned above, the border patrol went through the guys vehicle and found correspondence from my brother about the selling price.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oops here...kelowna bc.....magster made a post on the subject....search importing...i think....it was a really good one.

i just brought back a little bliner from vegas.....sale price 2300......

customs wanted to see a copy of the add......
bill of sale.....
boat documents....vessel ownership transfer....
trailer documents....

all they charged me was pst and gst....its used...so no duty.......

but magsters the pro.....pm him or do a search...

cheers...good luck and nice bote.
oops

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat! You will have to pay gst and pst to bring it into Canada. No duty because it's US made and so covered under the Free Trade agreement. I still don't understand why I didn't have to pay duty on the Yamaha perched on the back of the Scout I brought into the country. Nice big sticker says Made in Japan on the motor. Maybe they consider it all one package "made" by Scout in South Carolina. I certainly didn't press the issue.

If that thing comes with a trailer you will pay tax on that too, as well as an inspection fee to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to get it legal for Ontario roads. Think that was $200 or so. Another tax grab by the planet's foremost experts on the art -- the Canadian government...

If you purchase it from a US-based business and they want to charge you state or federal taxes, you may be able to apply to get those back because you are taking it out of the country and you are not a US citizen. Not sure on that though -- mine was a private sale.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

at the boarder they split some of the cost of the pkg between trailer and boat....for paperwork reasons......

but when you register the trailer.....(i havent done mine yet)....there is a 200 and some dollar one time fee.......

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't forget to declare the cash you are using to pay for it when you enter the States. If it is over 10k you must declare it.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Don't forget to declare the cash you are using to pay for it when you enter the States. If it is over 10k you must declare it.

Oh man -- what he said! I totally forgot at the airport when first asked by the US border guys about bringing cash into the States. From Canada you actually clear US Customs before you get on the plane in Toronto. At first I just answered automatically about the money because -- believe it or not -- it's quite rare for me to be walking around with more than ten grand...:rolleyes:

Then, as I was about to walk away I said, "Oh wait...I forgot I've got a bank draft for more than ten thousand. Does that count?" The other reason I had totally blanked was because I was thinking they meant the green kind of cash.

The guy wasn't amused at all. Landed myself in Secondary Inspection for 30 minutes while they went through all my stuff and asked a bunch of questions. The rolling suitcase full of tools didn't help ease matters much. The guy just couldn't get his head around someone flying from Toronto to North Carolina just to tow a boat all the way back home.

"Don't they got any boats you want in Canada?" he asked. "Er, well, you see I've already spent two months driving around Ontrario to see all three used Scouts in this half of the country, and actually...so yeah, other than one in Boston which I don't want because it's got an older 2 stroke Yammy, North Carolina is the next closest one...sir..."

Finally they let me go (probably to stop my inane babbling) but the lesson is, yeah -- declare the money."

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the words ...."do you have any thing to declare" ......strike fear in the hearts and minds of all canadians !!!!

when i pulled up to customs and they asked me....i just pointed to the back at the boat and smiled at him.......he wrote on a yellow peice of paper and said the first parking spot on the left please....!!!! :eek:

but it was ok.....20 mins later and we were driving home. wheew !