Can you use 2 stoke oil in a prestolite, trim pump?

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Servicing my tilt pump and happen to have a few quarts of 2 cycle oil laying around. They say you can use 10w30, would 2 stroke oil work?

I think dextron 3 is pretty universal. I would look up your boat and see the correct fluid. Also if you have 2 engines, make sure you use the same fluid. Per google reading.

Bondo

Staff member
Servicing my tilt pump and happen to have a few quarts of 2 cycle oil laying around. They say you can use 10w30, would 2 stroke oil work?
Well,..... I've used Atf, motor oil, 'n hyd. oil, but never 2-stroke oil,.....

Can't think of a reason it wouldn't work, just never tried it,.....

'bout any oil that doesn't attack the rubber seals, 'n o-rings, oughta work Ok,....

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well,..... I've used Atf, motor oil, 'n hyd. oil, but never 2-stroke oil,.....

Can't think of a reason it wouldn't work, just never tried it,.....

'bout any oil that doesn't attack the rubber seals, 'n o-rings, oughta work Ok,....
Just gonna yse 10w30! Got some for $4.50. No point being the first to discover it don’t work!

kenny nunez

Captain
Power steering fluid is also a good choice. Keep in mind that it does not foam and has less drag on the trim motor allowing the drive to move quicker up and down.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
2 stroke oil is full of solvents. Not good for orings.

Used NH 134D hydraulic oil when I rebuilt my unit two years ago. Called for Dexron but figured I’d go one step better since I had 5 gallons left over from changing the tractor hydraulic fluids

Scott06

Admiral
Just gonna yse 10w30! Got some for $4.50. No point being the first to discover it don’t work!
Yeah i was gonna say this is taking being a frugal boater a little too far… as bondo says you can use just about anything . I got a gallon of hydraulic oil for $12 same specs as what merc sells for alpha gen 2 , lifetime supply

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use atf. Even in hydraulic jacks I use it. I've seen a few jacks over the years that failed. After dumping the jack oil, I fill with atf and they work again. The trim pump is a pump. Power steering is a pump also. It works for me.