Can you put the wrong stator on and make it work

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice
ok, here is the deal - i have a 77 85hp with a cooked stator. i went to the local johnson shop and they want 330 for a new one and 260 online for a CDI. we went through his used inventory and we found one with the right number of yellow wires (for the battery charger and 2 sets of brown wires (for the power packs) we determined it was for a v6. <br /><br />my question - can i use this? will it fry anything? or am I crazy?<br />the old one makes 6 amps and i think the new one will make 35 amps for the charging circuit.<br />Also the old one has brown wires with different stripes on them.<br /><br />realistically, it needs to make electricity, all the timing and everything is done by the other system (spark generation) <br />what do you think?<br />Mike :confused:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Can you put the wrong stator on and make it work

The 35 amp stator has to fit a 35 amp flywheel to charge the full amperage. If I'm not mistaken, the 35 amp stator is thicker than the one for your motor. I kinda doubt it would fit underneath the flywheel.

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice

they are exactly the same - just a different part number and this one is black. (it also has 2 extra brown wires.

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice

ok - update - i got it all hooked up, used 2 of the brown wires and it runs great! the cold start issue i used to have is nonexistant in the driveway. i will have to button it all up and take it to the lake and give it a try.<br />will keep you posted.<br /><br />if you know of a reason this is BAD, please let me know. I am leaving unattached the set of brown wires with the black and white tracers. (for the nonexistant powerpack)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If it's the same size, then you must not have an a 35 amp stator. Do you have the part number of it?<br /><br />Keep an eye on the coil insulation that has the unused brown wires. It may overheat and start melting since the induced voltage has nowhere to go.

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice

the part number is 5828 G7 U6<br />it is for a v6 <br />we took it out Sunday and it ran great, but i had not torqued down the flywheel enough so that came loose and busted the key. so a new key later it runs again.<br />have to get the torque specs and make sure it is tight. just spent $22 getting the right sized socket 1 5/16 and an adapter from 3/4 drive to 1/2 drive.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The factory part numbers are 6 digits, some of the new ones are 7. What you posted was a production code.<br /><br />Your flywheel torque is 105 ft. lbs.

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice

hmm, my old one had a part number stamped on it.<br />how do i know what it is?<br /><br />thanks for the torque.<br />it runs like a new engine

reeldutch

Lieutenant

Be carefull!!!!!!!!!!<br />a not torqet down flywheel is a potential<br />lethal weapon.<br />if that thing flys off with 5500 rpm<br />you dont want to catch it.<br /><br />good luck reeldutch

mikemartyo

Seaman Apprentice

I got it all together, runs great. flywheel was off a couple of degrees, broke the key, got a new one, and a 1 5/16 socket (with 3/4 to 1/2 adapter) and used my impact gun to snug it down (my omc shop told me that trick)<br />runs about 5500 rpm and starts great too!<br />you should see the old stator. COOKED<br />thanks for your help<br />Mike