Can you identify this?

tibb

Cadet
First to the thanks and congratulations. I know that many of you veterans may not read or reply to many of the posts that come from new members or folks who just pop on here to get an answer and then never resurface. Let me tell you from this side of the fence that many of us never post because we find all that we need just by reading. Thanks for all your years of wisdom in a few brief minutes.<br /><br />I have included below a picture of a deteriorated round washer that I found when I removed my lower unit. Unfortunately it was in pieces near the white arrow so I cannot determine where it came from. The motor is a 40 hp Mercury, 1985 model. My maintenance manual does not show or I cannot determine where it came from. <br /><br />Also notice that the boot (I know it belongs on the tach. axle?) has been grooved. It appears to not have lost its functionality, but I'm open to your thoughts.<br /><br />
f693a18b.jpg
<br />
f693a189.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can you identify this?

mmmm my poor puter sees no pics on this post

DHPMARINE

Captain

Nor on mine puter<br />Tibb please try again.We want to help after those nice compliments <br /><br />DHP

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I tort I tore a puddy tat. But no pic :( <br /><br />You need to download the picture to a picture hosting site and then put the URL of the picture between the 'open square bracket "image" close square bracket' and 'open square bracket "/image" close square bracket'. I've spelt it out because if I type it the UBB code reader will think I'm trying to post an image.<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br /><br />Chris.........

KCLOST

Commander

The smaller part looks like a shift shaft boot...

achris

I don't know what you're looking at KCLOST, but these engines don't have shift shaft boots.

KCLOST

Commander

I believe some of them do, depending on age!!! We need his serial number to confirm... Then again, I don't think my 1984 50hp had one. :confused: <br /><br />But that round part in the top picture, sure looks like the upper shift shaft will slide right into it.... But I have no idea of the size of that thing, how big is it?<br /><br />What is broken actually, I see something in pieces in that top picture, is that the item in question?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's a tilt lock cam. It lifts a rod that disengages the tilt pin latch when the motor is in forward gear. Odd looking, though. Maybe not factory.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> not sure about the part in the background. the part in the forground operates your reverse lock via a cam rod. if you have power trim its not nessasary if you dont you will need it to lock the motor when in reverse or the prop has a tendancy to climb out of the water in reverse. follow the manual carefully to properly oreint it on reassembly.<br /> good luck and keep posting

achris

Agree with willy and rodbolt. It's the reverse lock cam and it should be on the splined shift shaft. There will be a rod that connects to the reverse hooks. Also a plastic guide up in the bottom of the driveshaft housing that the rod runs in. It looks a little worn too. <br /><br />The part you have in your photo is #50 in this one.<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />The guide (goes in the bottom of the driveshaft housing is also #50 but in the lower picture<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Chris............

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If you look at the first post, I believe the other question was related to the broken round washer shown at the top left of the first image. Where would that item be from ?

achris

That broken washer could be #49 in the top drawing. What is it made of?

tibb

Cadet

WOW!! What an amazing response.<br />I am thankful for all the help on the shift shaft boot, but yes AMD is right. I am more concerned about the round washer that dropped out of the upper unit or came from places unknown and was just lying in pieces near the white arrow when I first removed the lower unit...but before I removed anything else. This is my primary question as to it's home. <br />I would dare to guess it is nylon or rubber, but as you can see very brittle and quite un-pliable.<br /><br />The reason for the shift shaft boot in the picture was for relative size and also to ask about the wear it appears to have received. I don't believe the round washer is #49 because I hadn't removed the shift shaft boot (What a funny name. At first I thought you were pulling a rookie's leg just for the fun of it).

achris

That 'shift shaft boot' is actually called a 'reverse lock cam' and yes, it looks worn. Could you post a pic of the broken washer next to say, a ruler?<br /><br />Chris...........

emckelvy

Commander

Looks like maybe that broken part is an old 'slinger' washer from around the driveshaft, on top of the water pump housing. You can see in the pic that there's an intact one already there, the busted one could just be an old remnant. <br /><br />You could test-fit it around the driveshaft to prove or disprove my theory.

tibb

Cadet

ADM is right. My priority question is locating the home for the round washer.<br />The motor's serial # is: 6084511<br />The round washer is exactly 1" in diameter and definitly rubber. <br />Those diagrams are great achris. Where did you get them?<br /><br />My repair manual shows a washer and a sleeve down in the hole coming out of the top of the water pump. I'm wondering if that is where it came from?