can you identify this part at top of mid section?

masonboro

Seaman
first of all, i worked very hard searching and looking at parts diagrams with no luck.
i have a 1992 j15 and it is became loose today from the swivel base (the part that clamps to the transom) to the mid-section.
there are 2 rubber spacers with a partially threaded bolt going through them to the inside of the mid-section.
it appears that there must have been a nut that came loose from the inside of the mid section?
if so, how do i get to the inside of the upper mid-section to re-install a nut?

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: can you identify this part at top of mid section?

Can you give us the model number of your engine? By the description you are giving it sounds like a motor mount, but the breakdown for a 1992 does not show a mount.

Bifflefan

Commander

You can explain until your blue in the fingers,,,
A pic is worth a hundred explainations...

masonboro

Seaman

i'm very sorry, my digital camera broke yesterday.
i will try to borow one tomorrow.
thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Can you identify the parts you are talking about in THIS DIAGRAM

I see no nuts inside the exhaust housing. If you do need to get in there you will have to remove the power head and I expect the gearcase first as well.

masonboro

Seaman

I thank you all very much for being patient with my camera being broken and for so much help.
I haven't been able to borrow my friends camera but I think I have found out what the part is called from many hours of web surfing.

Upper motor mounts?

There are 2 shock rubber grommets/bushings side by side with a threaded bolt going into the exhaust housing. I have play at one of there where I can see the threads of the bolt pulling loosely from the exhaust housing.

Is it making sense?

My motor is a 1994 j15eere and acording to "OMC Ramblings" I have the newer improved motor mounts.

Do I need to remove the power head?
If so, is there any other maintenance or gaskets needed before I tear it apart?

Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Looks as though the bolt has worked loose. You'll need to remove the power head to get to it. You'll probably need a new power head to exhaust housing gasket.

You'll need to remove the gearcase unit first I think you'll find but that then gives you the opportunity to renew the pump impeller. Drives shaft oil seals too perhaps.

See all the parts in the parts catalogue HERE

masonboro

Seaman

Thank you very much,

Eveywhere I look it says that this part is "no longer availbale".
The motor is a 1994 and this part is used on many motors, I'm confused.
I can see on my motor that the screw worked itself loose, how does it hold itself inside the exhaust housing?
A nut?
Is there a dampening/shock absorbing device at that end of the screw inside the housing?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Now we know correct year we can look at the correct parts diagrams see HERE

The entire mounting consists of two each of parts # 29, 23, 28, 7, 9, 32, & 31 plus parts #15 & 13.

The two screws #7 are fitted from inside the exhaust housing so in order to access them the power head has to be removed and (the covers and seals, #29 & #28, removed)

Hopefully you will only need to tighten them.

However most of the parts are available except the mounting #9 and the seal retainer # 32

You'll find all the parts diagrams and parts lists with numbers and availability info HERE

masonboro

Seaman

Sounds like I have alot of work to get to.
Thank you very much for the help.

I may have to wait a week or two as I am a sailor and a proper working environment is not currently available.

Thanks again.