Can you help me ID this 63 Starcraft?

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
I'm contemplating purchasing this boat and it looks to be in pretty good shape but don't know which model it is. I thought it was a Jet Star when I first saw the pictures, but find out it's glass, so I looked at the brochures for that year and there are several that look just like this one. Some of the features:

Folding seats (they fold down for laying out or what not)
Rear view mirror - I am 99% certain it is stock, it's just a big piece of polished metal
Serial number is 63k2987 (can't make out the model number - hence the question :) )
Two (odd) lighter sockets
Speedo and tach

It's been fairly restored to factory, has a bimini top that was taken off (needs replaced, hardware still good)

Thank you so much for your help (and I have immensely enjoyed reading about Starcrafts here and seeing the restorations!)

Pictures attached.5Ff5J95M43E13F23J9c6e1da61bcc6dba1e8b.jpg5I25T05K33F63J33Hdc6e415c6631de771b8a.jpg5I55Le5Fa3G43Ia3J2c6e120da1319f1318eb.jpg5Ie5L95M93n63M23o2c6e29dee23073a312fb.jpg

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can you help me ID this 63 Starcraft?

I forgot to mention it has a 1971 50HP Evinrude on it.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice

Dumb forum won't let me edit :). I don't know if I got the term Bimini is correct, it may be a convertible top - I only saw the rails and hardware, but the hardware indicated that the top lowers when not needed/wanted. I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I know I haven't given you all much to go on!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A convertible top attaches to the windshield and a bimini doesn't. Judging by the snaps on the windshield it's probably a convertible. That's a sharp little runabout. The Evinrude is an electric shift model which wouldn't be my first choice. If it's in running condition and priced pretty low it could be a nice buy.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, I thought I might have gotten my terminology messed up after reading some other Starcraft threads here. What makes the electric shift on that model engine so undesirable? Does any of this help you to figure out which model she might be?

jbcurt00

Staff member

What makes the electric shift on that model engine so undesirable?

Electric shift when it works works great. But it works via solenoid & magnets. When these solenoids start to fail, they are hard to find used, new maybe impossble. Except for 1 iboater @6wks ago, I PM'd him & posted in his thread about where he got them. He said he was getting them for @$80 & already had some spares laying around. He has not replied to either message.

I've never heard of anyone finding them except in donor parts motors that may or may not be a packaged deal w/ a boat, motor & trailer. And like most parts boats & motors, the parts may or may not be any good. Esp since the failing solenoids is 1 of the reasons so many of these electric shift motors end up as parts motors.

But when they are working right, they can be great!

You might try looking around here for info & details to ID her. The title/reg paperwork doesn't help?

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info! I know that the engine is overheating and the engine is waiting on two new sensors - not sure if that is the same problem as what you described or not.

As for identifying her, I already spent a lot of time on that site trying to figure it out and they all look alike for that year. I haven't purchased her yet, I'm trying to dig up information before I make him an offer. I always like to be sure I can find missing parts or add-ons before I buy (like a custom boat cover, new convertible top, etc) - if the parts are impossible to find then I tend to shy away from old purchases like this.

Plus I would like to know maximum engine size and other specs if possible.

North Beach

Commander

Colorado, welcome to iboats. The 63 brochure leaves a little to be desired as far as which boat is which, but it looks like the Comet was a 16 footer and the Arrow was a 14 footer for that year. Starcraft also made 15 foot fiberglass boats but none were red.

It's pretty evident the boat has been restored somewhat. And most of the hardware/accessories back in those days were kindof aftetrmarket stuff that could be added by the owner or the retailer could do it. That ski mirror was probably added. I have one somewhere here a lot like it that I purchased on eBay.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, that's been my problem as well. I figured that it was not stock color since the brochure indicates that only the tin boats were red. Since you guys seem to be gurus in this department, and assuming it's an Arrow or Comet, what would something like this be worth? I talked to the seller this morning and his mechanic said the solenoids are on order and due in this week - so repairing the engine seems to be quite likely. He is asking $2,500 OBO, but the paint job on it looks good in the pictures, it was defiantly an amateur job and a paint over, not smooth and it's not horrible but it's not a good restoration job either. I was thinking of offering $1,500-$1,750. I figure I'll have a few hundred having a custom cover made and another few hundred getting the convertible top made.

Thank you again for your help! I've been lurking on here for a long time (I just have a Maxxon 420 with an ancient 25HP Johnson now) and the knowledge on here is outstanding!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In my area, with that motor, that's a $1k or less boat. Probably much less since with an overheating motor it's not water-ready. Little closed bow runabouts are a dime a dozen. Not sure what the market is like in CO. Mid-summer boat prices can be all over the map.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it comes with a pretty decent trailer so I offered him $1,300 - figured the trailer is worth 800.00 - so I guess we'll see. I just think it's a really neat looking little boat - not something you see on the lake very often! If it is accepted I look forward to taking a rubbing of that serial plate to see if I can figure out exactly what model this thing really is.

Thank you so much for your help in this!