Can you help me check if the water cooling the engine running right?

shovun

Recruit
I have an old 15hp 2-stroke mercury and it looks like water cooling the engine coming out through the crack but not the right hole. Not sure there the hole is.
I'm a complete newbie and this is an old motor I got. So, I sense something might be wrong.
Do I need to disassemble the leg and find what's wrong?
How expensive the repair would be?
I could not find model number of the motor, looks like the tag is lost

pic1.png

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. That central hole where some of the water is coming out is quite normal on start up and during thermostatic fluctuations. The other exit with the small stream of water is the tell tale indication. Looks ok to me but good idea to replace the impeller to be sure.
I might also say that the engine may not be exactly what the home made diy painted and stickers suggest it is.
I’d be almost certain that she’s more likely a 9.9 or a 15hp Mariner engine that’s made by Yamaha, from sometime in the early 80’s. Not a bad thing at all. Not sure I under stand the arrangement you have with the muffs there, as a side note!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Also not sure exactly what motor you have there.
Look for a serial number on a round silver freeze plug on the engine block.

Water hose and muffs will not work properly with that motor.
You need to use a small trash can filled with water that will fully submerge the water pump. So water must be 6" above that big plastic fin that someone attached.

You definitely should replace the water pump, and thermostat, with any motor you buy.
But you have to ID the motor first so you know what part to buy.
Parts will run maybe $30-40, and will take you less than an hour to put them in.

I would suggest you make another post in the general outboard forum
here:

And title the thread "Need Help Identifying A Motor."
Include a photo of each side of the powerhead.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Also not sure exactly what motor you have there.
Look for a serial number on a round silver freeze plug on the engine block.

Water hose and muffs will not work properly with that motor.
You need to use a small trash can filled with water that will fully submerge the water pump. So water must be 6" above that big plastic fin that someone attached.

You definitely should replace the water pump, and thermostat, with any motor you buy.
But you have to ID the motor first so you know what part to buy.
Parts will run maybe $30-40, and will take you less than an hour to put them in.

I would suggest you make another post in the general outboard forum
here:

And title the thread "Need Help Identifying A Motor."
Include a photo of each side of the powerhead.
Almost sure it’s a mariner Yamaha 9.9-15hp. Just with the shape of the hood and the hood release lever too.