Can you convert a 1 barrel solex to a 2 barrel weber

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 125 aq 270 volvo penta 4cyl 2.1 ltr. with a 1 barrel solex.<br /><br />Does anyone know if I can convert it to a 2 barrel carb. of any kind?<br /><br />If so where can I buy the parts to do so?<br /><br />Thank you

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Can you convert a 1 barrel solex to a 2 barrel weber

You'll need a boatload of parts to do that, so to speak.<br />I think the manifold for the 130 takes two carbs, you'd need the intake and possibly the exhaust manifold, and you MAY need the 130 head also. I think the 125 uses the same head, but I could be mistaken.<br />The intake manifold is about $220.00, the exhaust manifold is about $500.00 The carbs are nearly $850.00 apiece. Yes, that's right, $850.00.<br />You'd need linkage, cable, etc. Awfully steep for just a small HP gain.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

where can I get a replacement 1 barrel solex carb?<br />I have had mine rebuilt. It didnt fix the problem I think it is just worn out. the accelerator pump adjustment looks a little bent and when I spray quick start on it it runs better. I starves for fuel at 3000 rpms.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Is this it?<br /><br />
carb.gif
<br /><br />P/N 856305-8<br />$831.11

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Yes and what a piece of junk it is. I wish there was a different brand of carb I could put on with my same manifold. <br /><br />or do you know a place where I could get a rebuilt exchange?<br /><br />Thanks

Walt T

Lieutenant

Why dont you take yours to a carb rebuilder, see if they can fix it.

PeeWee

Seaman Apprentice

I have replaced 1bl solex with 2bl weber on 73opel, It's very populer with the opel GT crowd.There is a kit/with all the spacers and gaskets and carb.don't know if it will work for you.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

I have taken it to a carb rebuilder 3 times he even put bigger jets in. That helped a little.<br /><br />Maybe I should try another carb shop.<br /><br />Do you think that conversion kit would work on my marine manifold and engine?<br /><br />Has anyone ever tried it?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Dont put an automotive carb on a marine engine<br />I suggest you find another rebuilder, those carbs really do work well.

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few suggestions:<br />1. If putting much larger jets in your current carb made it run better, then it was running too lean. Possibly something is cracked, or warped, or perhaps the throttle shafts are now worn. You can replace gaskets all you want, but it won't solve the problem<br />2. Those are rare carbs; I can't think of what kind of car you could scrounge one from. Not even a Volvo. I've seen Volvo's dating from the mid 60's, but they didn't use that unit. Maybe an Opel?<br />3. While I don't doubt that DieselWalt is correct about the price of all the new parts, why would you buy new ones? For the $2500 that the new parts would cost, you could buy another complete boat! Buy a used carburetor from a similar engine. Hell, you could probably get a used engine for what you've no doubt spent on carb rebuilds. Maybe PeeWee will sell you his old one. Advertise - tell people what you're looking for.<br />4. If neccesary, an adaptor could be fabricated to use another carb from a different engine - this isn't rocket science. It's an old hot-rodding tradition to adapt things. Use a marine carb though - there are a number of differences from an auto unit. Maybe something off of a 4 cylinder 2.5 or 3 litre?<br /><br />Try these:<br /> http://www.carbsonly.com/marine/marcarbsrebuild.htm <br />Waretown Auto and Marine Carb Repairs & Parts 609-693-7934 (NJ)

Walt T

Lieutenant

Coupe's right, I wouldnt buy new stuff for that. I really don't know where I would find used stuff though, and with a used carb, it would presumably be as old as the one you have and most likely will need rebuilding also. Therefore, take yours to a rebuilder, that's what I would do.

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All right Spinnakersheet, at great personal cost, I present the following:<br />Yes, you can get a Weber carb for your engine. Here is where to go:<br /> http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Aplication_guide/Table_of_Contents.htm <br /> http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Aplication_guide/OPEL.htm [Uses the same Solex as you have now, I think, so adaptor should work]<br />If adaptor is a no go, then these folks have a new intake manifold to mount a Weber 32/36DGV on your engine. Which by the way is a B21 unit.<br /> http://www.piercemanifolds.com/webercat.pdf <br /><br />"Is it a marine carb" I hear you say? Here is the answer from Redline: <br /><br />Yes, we have a few marine applications,<br /><br />but you will no longer see coast guard certification.<br /><br />We supply the coast Guard requierments in our kit and have met all their guide lines.<br /><br />We have been in argument with them for a few years, as<br /><br />they claim you as the consumer must install and meet these guide lines but they do<br />not certify any applications.<br /><br />We have special fuel line fittings, and most important a spark arrester.<br /><br />If you can get me a tracing of your carb base, a diagram or picture of the<br />carb mount and linkage and shaft rotation in relation to the mounting, I am<br />sure I can confirm one of our Mercruiser applications will come close, and we<br />can then supply the additional parts needed for your Volvo.<br /><br />I hope this helps<br /><br />If you cannot get a digital pic you can fax your tracing to 310 380 7189 Attention:<br />Bud Pauge<br /><br />Or you may have the ability to scan your tracing and send it by e mail<br /><br />what ever you can do I can work with.<br /><br />Bud Pauge<br />Redline Weber<br /><br />There. I've gone the extra mile for you, Spinakersheet. It's up to you now.<br /> Coupedeville