Can trim pump be added to a 40hp that didn't come with it?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'm looking at this motor but it has no tilt. I came across a couple threads that made it sound like a factory trim/tilt pump can be a added to any of these motors and that they are pretty interchangeable. Anybody have more insight? IT's a 40hp tiller, the current owner thinks it's a 1995. I's skeptical as I don't see any holes for pins to hold one in place but don't know how they worked on these motors.
Thanks for any thoughts!
aaajohnson.jpg

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Looks closer to an 88-91 model. Get a better pic of the tag as the model # will tell you exactly. That yr would have used an external TNT. Better to buy an aftermarket unit for it.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Looks closer to an 88-91 model. Get a better pic of the tag as the model # will tell you exactly. That yr would have used an external TNT. Better to buy an aftermarket unit for it.
Thanks for the info. I figured aftermarket would be easiest but prefer keeping it factory if not too much of a PITA. Do you know if they were overall decent motors?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Lower units are less than durable. And if it is in the 88-92 Era that is a 5 yr only lower.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is a 1988 or older !!---In fact I think it is an 86 model.----An aftermarket is your best bet !!