Can transducer be saved?

dr.livingston

Seaman
I bought a boat that once had a fish finder. The previous owner removed and discarded the display unit because it had been left unprotected in the sun too many years and was ruined. He did leave the transducer but it appears that the connector to the display has been cut off and discarded along with the display. The ducer looks like a single frequency Humminbird product.

Are replacement connectors available or do I have to trash the transducer and start all over? A salesman in a boating store told me that nobody sells replacement connectors separately because the total length of the cable is critical.

salty87

Commander
Re: Can transducer be saved?

nah, might as well start over with new equip.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Salty said it.
If the 'ducer is a transom mount, just put another in its place. Modern fish finders do way better than those of yesteryear. Easer for owner installation and better dispalys. invest in a garmin or lowrance/eagle. You will not be disappointed
Captharv

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I agree with the others. That equipment has changed a lot in the past few years. Besides that the saleman lied about the cable length. If he looked on his shelves he probably would have found some extension cables.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Some things ....... I just can't resist!

Well..... if the transducer is willing to accept the Lord ...... yes, I am sure there is a Preacher that will save it! :D

With all the "new" technology I would just buy a entire new set up and then you are sure it works. That old one may not even work.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

A salesman in a boating store told me that nobody sells replacement connectors

...because they want to sell you a new unit!

If you need one and don't mind cheaping it out, eBay, when patient with it, can yield good equip for low bucks. My best was a Big Jon downrigger for 19.99!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

on your boat, i would use a thru hull tranducer, mounted forward, rather than a transom mount. the problem with transom mount, you are past it buy the time you see it on the monitor, especially when using it for the depth finder, in shallow water.

dr.livingston

Seaman

Bob VT, that's a good one!

Well, the overwhelming concensus is - start over with a completely new system. My long held philosphy is "the cheapest way to do anything is to do it the right way from the very start." Sometimes I need to be reminded of that. Thanks.

I like the thru-hull idea. Hopefully I can find a good place to mount it. As I understand it, you want an area with single layer fiberglass between the ducer and the water. Also the fiberglass will reduce the sensitivity some, so a higher power unit should compensate.

As for brand name preferences what do you guys think?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unless you have a matching sonar without a transducer, there is no point. New units come with transducers.

dr.livingston

Seaman

Joed,

While it is true that many if not most displays come complete with a transducer, some fish finders are sold without transducers. Also, transducers can be purchased separately from displays. Some transducers actually cost more than some displays. All of this does tend to cast doubt on the statement of that salesman who told me that the cable length is critical.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cable length can't be too critical, since hummingbird, sells a 10 ft extention cable for their transducers, for long runs.

salty87

Commander

cable length only matters if you end up too short.

they don't sell different units for different size boats, the fishfinder doesn't care if it's a bass boat or an offshore rig....just a longer cable.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I like the thru-hull idea. Hopefully I can find a good place to mount it. As I understand it, you want an area with single layer fiberglass between the ducer and the water. Also the fiberglass will reduce the sensitivity some, so a higher power unit should compensate.

If you are brave and skilled, you can drill a test hole in the fiberglass, 1/8" is fine, and carefully grind out the transducer mounting area to thin the 'glass. The test hole will also tell you if there is plywood or other stuff in the laminations, which could be a problem as I think was mentioned (or that was another thread?) Then when you bed the transducer, it doesn't have to shoot through so much thickness, and the hole is plugged with the epoxy pool.

I get away with a lot of stuff on cars, boats, and motorcycles, but my natural skillset helps. If your natural skillset is more of a people person (or whatever) than being a mechanic, then maybe curbing the bravery and leaving out the grinding might be better for you. I don't want anyone reading this to mess up their boat!