Can someone recommend a small gas boat motor for a canoe?

Bait Me

Cadet
I have a 14 foot old town canoe that I would like to hang a small gas engine on for trolling. The engine should be reasonably priced, gas powered, reliable, quiet and max power for the weight and size of boat. I would be pushing a maximum of two adults and small child. Any recommendation for or against? Any opinions / experience appreciated.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Can someone recommend a small gas boat motor for a canoe?

Is this canoe designed for an outboard (square stern)? While there are brackets available for regular canoes, you have to be really careful about weight distribution. I would look for a motor of no more than 2 HP; the bracket is likely to have a maximum rating.

Bait Me

Cadet

I have a bracket that I use to hang an electric motor on. . . Can you elaborate with a recommendation on Make/Model. Will a 2 hp push two adults + ? Thanks!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Any 2 hp will push that load ok although slowly. Make and model doesn't matter.

The thing about any small gas motor is they make a real racket when opened up full, so you won't want to have the 2 hp screaming at WOT for long. Dialed back to a reasonable hum you can expect a pace about like a steady jog.

As mentioned, balance and weight distribution is key on canoes - especially if the motor is hanging off the side. We've done both a side-mounted 2 hp (Johnson / BRP) and now have got a square stern canoe with a 5 hp (Yamaha) which will really cruise along but again the weight and balance is critical, even tho that canoe is rated for a 5. We use two five gallon water jugs up front to balance the load. These rigs are definitely not for kids to learn on.

All that said, it can be a great way to travel - leisurely and close to interesting shorelines. And hey - paddling a canoe works well too! :)

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Tohatsu 3.5HP, 2 cycle. You find 2006-2009 models for around $250-$350.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JohnnyRude 3HP from the 70s or 80s would be great. Best small outboard ever made. . .by anyone. Weighs about 29#, quiet as a sewing machine at low rpm. Runs all day on one (built in) tank or can be rigged to use an external tank. Will run for a week on 6 gallons.

However: That might be too much for a 14' canoe, in which case I would recommend a JohnnyRude 2HP from the same period.

Forget a noisy air cooled motor. Be sure you have a built in fuel tank. I think the extra weight for FNR would be more nuisance than help.

robert graham

Admiral

I've run a Tanaka 3HP on my 17' aluminum canoe for over 25 years, but since they're not made anymore, consider the Honda 2HP, 4 stroke, centrifugal clutch, air cooled, no water pump, no gears, excellent for shallow water, salt water, outstanding gas mileage, 27 lbs., darn nice motor for a canoe, and it don't take all that much power to push a canoe along at 5 to 7 MPH. Check it out and good luck!

Ned L

Commander

If you are not familiar with using an outboard on a typical side mount bracket on a canoe it can be pretty dangerous. I have a 15 1/2' Thompson canoe that I mount a little vintage 1.5hp Neptune on, and with just me in it it is pretty obvious that any quick turn of the tiller would flip the canoe REAL fast. Remember, the prop is basically at the bottom of a 2' lever arm and if you turn quickly that lever arm is in full force trying to turn the canoe over. I wouldn't even want to be in my 15 1/2' canoe with a 2 or 3hp on it unless it was well loaded with at least two people & a good bit of gear.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Bass pro shop sells a canoe with a small battery operated motor already installed.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I tried a side mount motor a couple of times, and found that it was very risky for a canoe.

Sounds like you don't have a motor yet, so I'd suggest selling or trading the canoe for a
small jon boat or stern mount canoe. You can start using oars, that's what I did, and eventually
get a motor. Take a boating course, all the same, and wear pfds.

Good luck!

;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 2 hp motor is plenty.Go to youtube look for "2hp on canoe." There are several videos.
They actually move quite well.Actually seem better with a couple of people aboard.
You do need to be sure your bracket is solid.