Can someone please tell me what year?

myco

Cadet
Johnson 28<br />Model # J28ELCDC<br />Ser# E2601448<br /><br />Can anyone please tell me what year this motor is?

moorpark

Cadet
Re: Can someone please tell me what year?

I believe the motor was manufactured in 1968.<br />OMC Corporation uses the word INTRODUCES to encrypt the last two model digits of their major products and, if this is applied to your Johnson motor, the last two digits, DC represent the numbers 6 and 8, thus, 1968, if I am right. I know the OMC boat division uses this word with I meaning 1, N meaning 2, etc. as my boat is a 1997 model and the last 2 digits of it's model number end with EU.<br /><br />Hope that helps.

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but 1968 is not quite right. Your thinking is right though, your just 1 letter off. OMC uses the word INTRODUCES as a code to indicate the year of an engine in the sequence you described. They also use a suffix in the model # when they have made a change to an engine during a production model year. They started this system in 1980. <br />J28ELCDC, J=Johnson, 28=Hp, E=Electric start remote model, CD=86 (1986), C=Suffix, indicates a "part" change during this model year. <br />This is one of those instances where it is important to have the entire model # when ordering parts. There may only be one differant part on the entire engine but it may be the one part you are looking for. <br />Even with this letter system that seems easy it can still be a little confusing.<br />Hope this helps.<br />Rob

myco

Cadet

Thankyou for the great info. I have the "SELOC" Johnson/evenrude outboard repair manual 1971-89 and no where in it does it mention a 28hp motor. Any clues or suggestions?

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />Sorry for the lag time, I don't get here as often as I would like.<br />OMC's Service Manual Pt# 507546 lists the information for your engine.<br />The 14Hp, 28Hp, 48Hp, 88Hp, & 148Hp engines built by Johnson & Evinrude were refered to as "SPL's" Special production, Price engines. They were OMC's original Package Boat Motors. At first offering it was the only way you could purchase them. Enough Dealers Requested that they be able to purchase them loose so they made them available loose a year or two later.<br />Your 28Hp is pretty close to a 25 hp, carboration and a differant gearcase seprate the two. The 28hp has a splitline, shearpin type case like those used in the 60's & 70's and earlier small and mid range engines. The 25 had a Thru-hub style case. This was the most defined differance, other then price, the 28's were $7-800. less money. Came in a 20" Remote model only.<br />You can probibly use the manual you have with a little imagination but the above book described is exact.<br />Good luck<br />Rob

myco

Cadet

Rob, you are the man. This is the first boat I have owned and your help has made the process pretty easy. I am from northern Indiana and love to fish. After getting stood -up by an erresponsable partner (his boat) my wife told me to get a boat. Thank you for the help and hope we talk more.<br /><br />Michael

whfmznb

Cadet

The "INTRODUCES" info is terrific....do other manufacturers have ID codes too??