Can someone please help verify which engine/block...

Okay, so I've put out a few threads about the boat I bought, and on Saturday I had a pretty darn good confirmation my worst fears are true. The block is I'm 99% sure cracked. Will pull the engine this weekend, pull intake and heads to check the gaskets to be 100%.

Anyway, can someone please tell me if either of these remanned rotating assemblies will work? If they won't can someone tell me how I would know which ones will work?
Here are two that I'm considering.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...atQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_500wt_1529

The other
http://www.autoguide.net/apf/chevy-car_engines/gmc_262lrlb_5.html

Or maybe someone else has one or a Rapido marine.
Anyway, here is my SN 0F826501, hopefully one of the experts can chime in here and save my day, well summer anyway :)

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can someone please help verify which engine/block...

Ayuh,... I Assume the current motor is a 1997,... You don't say, but your name does....
If so,... Either of those motors will work... They're both listed as 96 to 98...

Re: Can someone please help verify which engine/block...

Just out of curiosity, this guy told me the following (meaning a 96 and 97 are different) "There is a difference between a 1996 and a 1997 model 4.3L long block.
The factory remanufactured 1996 4.3L is part 806347R5 for $2992.90 plus a core fee of $250.00
If you have a 1997 model you have to refer to Bulletin 2007-11 (see attachment).
Send me your engine serial number and I will research more accuratly what model you have and need." Here is what the service bulletin says verbatim. Its bulletin # 2007-11R2
Situation
This bulletin explains the requirements for repowering from a 3X longblock to a 58X
longblock. MerCruiser is using the new General Motors 4.3 L V6 longblock in production,
beginning with serial number 1A063240. General Motors changed from a 3X (segment)
reluctor wheel to a 58X (segment) reluctor wheel on the 4.3 L V6, allowing for more precise
ignition timing and fuel management. The longblock with the 3X reluctor wheel is NLA. The
new longblock configuration is also used on carbureted engines that do not use a
crankshaft position sensor for timing.
Correction
IMPORTANT: When replacing a V6 with a serial number below 0M324698 or with
one‑piece exhaust manifolds, you must order the correct Mercury‑remanufactured
longblock. See the Mercury Remanufacturing Product Guide for part numbers.
A seawater pump bracket is not available for a 4.3 L carbureted engine with a Bravo
sterndrive and seawater cooling. This single application requires a remanufactured
longblock.
NOTE: The 58X longblock does not use a knock sensor. Do not use the knock sensor from
a 3X longblock with a 58X replacement longblock.
For engines with two‑piece exhaust manifolds, serial number 0M324698 and later, refer to
the following tables for the parts required to install a 58x replacement longblock.
Additional Parts Required to Replace a 3X Longblock with a 58X Longblock
Remanufactured longblocks require gaskets only. (Refer to Table 1.) For new longblocks,
consult each of the following tables for parts needed.
Mine came with the 1 piece manifold.

Anyone really know crucial this is, from what little I do know about engines timing is pretty important..
Any input is appreciated.

Sean