Can someone explain what some of this stuff is?

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, I got out the receipts from my mechanic and made a list of all the stuff that's been done to my motor in the past. It's been in three times. Can someone tell my what the things I put question marks by are? His messing was messy so I could have got something wrong. The motor is a 1963 5.5HP Evinrude Fisherman. Thank you<br /><br />6-2-00<br />pen oil ?<br />ignition boot kit ?<br />spark plugs<br />carburetor kit & clean<br />engine tune<br />PH gasket ?<br />5/16 & 3/16 hoses<br />Lube & grease<br />Type M Adhesive ?<br />Impeller<br />Tie wraps<br />fuel<br /><br />5-21-01<br />spark plugs<br />lube<br />CRC ?<br />Engine tune<br />Torch ?<br />Fuel<br /><br />10-17-02<br />carburetor kit<br />bleeder hose ?<br />engine tune<br />Fuel & clean<br />Prop cap<br />Shear pin ?<br />Cover latch parts

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can someone explain what some of this stuff is?

i will go in order the boots on the end of the spark plug wires<br />power hear gasket<br />glue (maybe for head)<br />not sure oof crc ,torch bleeder hose <br /><br />shear pin is for the prop

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Pen oil might be penetrating oil for loosing rusted/frozen parts.

John McFarlane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps you should ask your mechanic?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I kinda' agree with John....ask the wrench. We can tell you what the stuff is (Adhesive M is the old name for an adnesive used to hold orings and some gaskets inplace during reassembly....I still use it.) But we can't really say what the wrench used it for or why....be like second guessing. CRC is the name of a penetrant oil used for many different things. Look in a local NAPA store for it.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

These receipts are 2-5 years old. You guys told me what I needed anyway. I don't really want to know what It was used for, just what it is. To learn. Thanks

rdh2059

Seaman

pen oil ? <br />Penetrant Oil - Usually used to break loose siezed or hard to turn bolts or nuts. Typical for older motors<br /><br />ignition boot kit ? <br />Replaced some rubber/neoprene around the ignition system, typically these are used to insulate the voltage and protect it from shorts. <br /><br />PH gasket ?<br />PowerHead Gasket - likely. Pulling the head gasket is pretty common to determine cylinder condition.<br /><br />Type M Adhesive ?<br />Gasket adhesive. Older type, but still used. <br /><br />CRC ?<br />CRC is a company that makes numerous products. Carb cleaner is a common usage here. Also several lubricants in spray form. My guess is this was a motor recondition and required carb cleaning, which he used a can of the stuff on. <br /><br />Torch ?<br />Commonly used to break free frozen bolts and nuts. Heating nuts or bolts compresses the crud that holds them together. This used in conjunction with penetrant oil usually breaks free most frozen bolts. Often lower unit plugs require a certain amount of "persuasion" to get them to break free in older motors...<br /><br />bleeder hose ?<br />The only thing I can think of would be some kind of overflow hose used for putting gear oil in the lower unit. <br /><br /><br />Shear pin ?<br />This is the pin in the prop. The idea is that if you hit something solid like a stump, the shearpin will break rather than the more expensive components of the motor itself. They wear over time and are commonly replaced during a tune up.<br /><br /><br />IMO none of these look to be unusual for a motor of this age. <br /><br />Rick

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bleeder Hose could be the pee hose.