Can someone confirm what I am reading into this?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
My wife has discovered that all of her friends love clams.<br /><br />We found a spot in the bay that has tons of them.<br /><br />I found this regulation on the Texas Parks and Wildlife web page and it isnt really clear to me.<br /><br /> http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/oysterreg.phtml <br /><br />"No more than 25 pounds of whole mussels and clams, or 12 pounds of mussel and clam shells may be taken per day for personal use and consumption only."<br /><br />So does that mean I can take 25 pounds of clams per person?<br /><br />Why would anyone only take the shells? :confused: <br /><br />Ken

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can someone confirm what I am reading into this?

I think the shells are used for the bottom of birdcages and aquariums.<br /><br />You'll probably find that you can take 25 pounds yourself-but if you bring your wife and her friends they can take 25 pounds each as well.

Ralph 123

Captain

Ken,<br /><br />Make sure you know the area you are harvesting is CLEAN and had been CLEAN for decades. Shellfish and bottom feeders can have high levels of pollutants.<br /><br />Quick story, as a kid I used to go lobstering with an adult friend of the family. He put pots in and around Boston Harbor. The harbor as it turns out was more polluted with heavy metals and PCBs than people knew at the time. 25 - 30 years later he and most of his family died of multiple forms of aggressive cancers. I never ate the stuff we caught or I'd be dead too!<br /><br />Seriously, be very careful of shellfish.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Its as clean as any other place around here. Not sure thats saying much.<br /><br />I have checked all places and found no bans.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

Ken I imagine that you're reading it right. The way interpret it is, you can have 12 pounds on you at the time the warden checks you and no more than 25 lbs in your possesion Ie: at home, if they decide to come to the house to check you. I'd say go get you some clams and take them home and go back and get some more.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I was reading it that you could take away from the clam area 25 lbs each of the live clams, or 12 lbs each of DEAD clams (i.e. all thats left is the shell).<br /><br />Not very clear.<br /><br />Ken

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems clear to me, just as you interpreted it.<br /><br />25 lbs of clams OR 12 lbs of shells only (no clams in them) per person per day for personal consumption (you can't be selling them). <br /><br />Don't know if it'd make a difference, but if I were clamming with more than one person, I'd keep a seperate container for each clammer so as to not have over the limit in any one container.<br /><br />Don't some people make jewelry and such using the inside of clam/ oyster/ mussell shells? Wonder if there might be people who harvest the clams, shuck em right there, throw away the clam, and just keep the shells? That would explain why the weight limit for shells is so much smaller than the weight limit for whole clams....

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to live on the Florida coast. I lived in Niceville which is next to Fort Walton Beach situated between Pensacola and Panama City. On many occasions the authorities would motor up next to my boat while we were fishing or snorkling and do their inspection.<br /><br />From my personal experience, I would call the Florida Game Commission and ask them to interpret the rules for you. Among our ten thousand plus members and back-yard lawyers we could give you all kinds of advice. But you are the one that will pay the fine if we didn't get it right. ;)