Can not get 40hp Mercury to trim all the way down,

on_ice

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2004 Mercury 2 stroke 40hp. The trim and tilt was very weak because it could not build pressure. We brought it to a mechanic, he told us what we needed to replace but since I have a friend that owns a Mercury dealer, we can get parts for very cheap so i got the boat back from him. When we got it back it was missing the bolts from the trim motor to where it mounts, and I think its missing some gear or something between the motor/pump....because the 2 shafts do not connect when i put the trim motor back on. Anyway, I do not care about trim and tilt right now, i just want the motor to go all the way down so I can use it. I pushed the motor down manually, and it went prob 80% and stopped. It felt like not a hard stop like the hydraulic ram building pressure but it actually being stopped abruptly. I opened the fill/drain ports on the back on the assembly, and no pressure. I then tried to open the one on the side but can not get it to open....I think this is some kind of pressure release. Do I need to get this open or is there another reason the motor wont go down? Its not hitting anything.

gtone55

Recruit
Re: Can not get 40hp Mercury to trim all the way down,

I have a 2004 Mercury 2 stroke 40hp. The trim and tilt was very weak because it could not build pressure. We brought it to a mechanic, he told us what we needed to replace but since I have a friend that owns a Mercury dealer, we can get parts for very cheap so i got the boat back from him. When we got it back it was missing the bolts from the trim motor to where it mounts, and I think its missing some gear or something between the motor/pump....because the 2 shafts do not connect when i put the trim motor back on. Anyway, I do not care about trim and tilt right now, i just want the motor to go all the way down so I can use it. I pushed the motor down manually, and it went prob 80% and stopped. It felt like not a hard stop like the hydraulic ram building pressure but it actually being stopped abruptly. I opened the fill/drain ports on the back on the assembly, and no pressure. I then tried to open the one on the side but can not get it to open....I think this is some kind of pressure release. Do I need to get this open or is there another reason the motor wont go down? Its not hitting anything.
DISCONNECT YOUR HOSES FROM THE POWER TRIM & TILT CAUSE THAT WILL RELIEVE ALL PRESS. !!!!

Re: Can not get 40hp Mercury to trim all the way down,

i doubt it has hoses, haha, but look for a plastic release valve, any noises when the motor bottoms out?