Can my car pull a inflatable boat?

eng15ine

Recruit
Hi All!

I have just bought a Sea Eagle 12.6 Sport Runabout and a new Honda 20 HP outboard to go along with it. I originally bought it with the idea of inflating it/deflating it every time I used it as I don't have a trailer. I have taken it out two times and I think it it too much of a pain to inflate/deflate every time I use it. I am thinking about buying a trailer I drive a 2004 Sebring Convertible (V6) it does not have a tow hitch yet. Do you think I would be able to trailer the boat + motor with this car? Does anyone have any experience trailing a boat with a car? I hope to buy a truck or suv sometime next year. Some people say it can damage my car while other say it is a light load at around 600lbs.

Thanks!

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Can my car pull a inflatable boat?

I don't think you're going to have a problem, but what's the tow capacity of the car? It should say in the owners manual.

I tow a jon boat (700# boat & trailer) with a Honda Accord and it does fine, Accord's tow rating is 1000#.

Adding a transmission cooler would be a good idea.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost any small to mid size car should be able to tow your rig as long as it has a tow rating and a hitch is available. U-Haul can likely set you up with a hitch if the car is able to accept one. We towed a similar rig to yours with a Subaru Forester and a Chevy Malibu (the earlier smaller version). U-Haul had a hitch for each. We were just careful not to back the car itself into salt water. If the ramp or launch was really shallow, we easily walked the trailer into deeper water rather than get the car wet.
Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nothing to worry about, just install towing ball properly, would need to ballance trailer axle (if it's possible to move forward and backwars) once boat/engine sits on trailer to achieve max 30 KG or less at hitch. Good for car and you when moving trailer alone by hand.

Happy Boating

eng15ine

Recruit

Thanks for the info! I U-Haul will be installing a hitch on Tuesday. I just have a few more questions.

1.) Do you think I will be able to use a jet ski trailer for my inflatable boat (Sea Eagle 12SR)?

2.) Do you think adding a transmission cooler is necessary if the boat, outboard, and motor weigh around 600lbs?

3.) Do you think there will be any problems driving to a lake around 3 hours away from my house w/ the trailer/boat?

Thanks!

P.S. Ive been checking out the forums and it has so much good info!

fishrdan

Admiral

2.) Do you think adding a transmission cooler is necessary if the boat, outboard, and motor weigh around 600lbs?

It's not just the weight, it's the aerodynamic drag too.

When I tow 700# with the car gas mileage does way down, from 27-28 to around 19. If I'm going a couple hundred miles I'll put the boat cover on and the mileage will go up to 21-22 as the seat bulkheads and seats are not catching the wind.

3 hours, no problem. I've towed my jon boat 5 hours one way with the car. Even launched the boat from a gravel shore with the car :D (and didn't get stuck)

I wouldn't tow without a transmission cooler!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A one jet ski trailer is too narrow to place a sib/engine combo. For towing that assembled configuration will need a proper trailer or modify a existing one, if you can buy, make, find one that has bulkeads that properly supports lower tubes when sitting at plain flat extention the best, specially if will travel that far. Must need to have tubes well inflated to place engine on transom, or remove and place somewhere else.

A trailer is the best option, at the most third assemble inflate/deflate disassemble you've already thrown in the towel.

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Sebring can tow the boat, but as mentioned above a trans cooler is very important. Also check the fluid to see if it smells or is off color. If it is then the trans needs to be serviced and flushed. You will also need to service it at half the recommended service interval. You won't have a power problem at all. Do make sure to keep your car well shod with good quality tires, not cheap ones. Also leave a bigger distance in front as the trailer does not have brakes, most likely.

Trailers are pretty simple for a SIB. Usually they are just a square box trailer with a couple bunks. Having side rails as guides is nice but not required. A stanchion at the front to attach the bow to and away you go...

Hmmm...someone shot this photo and posted it on the web.

3779477511_677b8a0ece_z.jpg

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I totally agree with the recommendations for adding a tranny cooler. It's the drag created by towing the boat, not just the weight. The drag can potentially damage the tranny.

eng15ine

Recruit

Hi All,

I have added the u-haul hitch and a transmission cooler. I have towed the boat three time with out any problems! I can't wait to take the boat out again this weekend! Ill post a picture of the setup soon.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks
Carlos

KD8NPB

Cadet

I intend to tow my 10 ft Avon with a 1990 Honda CRX HF...all 62 hp / 98 lb-ft of torque!

ju016.jpg

I'll be sure to get a picture of that.

It's a manual transmission full of Redline MTF. I'm not too worried about the clutch either, they're like $80 for the kit and easy to replace.

Safe to say though, I will not be exceeding 55 mph.