Can installing a dual battery switch affect my gauges?

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
I installed a dual battery switch on my boat in May. I have noticed that my gauges have been acting funny for a month or two. The trim gauge will stay all the way up half the time. I never had a problem with this before the dual batteries. My uncle said if you run on "both" batteries, it can mess with circuits...

Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks,
Matt

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can installing a dual battery switch affect my gauges?

I didn't know that the thread was actually "moved" here. Sorry bout that.

dyzz1128

Cadet

CHeck your hook up and make sure that you arent running 24volts on your gauges, they are designed to work off of just 12 volts. You may be overloading the circuits or fuses.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

I'll take a look at it in the next couple days...

Thanks for the advice,
Matt

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the gauges were getting 24V they would be toast. A dual battery system is still 12V so even if you had 15 batteries in parallel you still have 12V and the gauges don't care. You may, however, have some loose connections.

How do your gages operate when you aren't on dual battery? I'd bet you still have the same problems with your trim gage. Any electrical problems other than your trim gage? Check to make sure you haven't bumped a wiring harness or something when installing the bulky batteries...if you aren't careful you can set the battery on a wire and it can cut the insulation. I agree that adding a second battery in parallel should have no effect on the function of your electrical system.

WARNING: Be very careful when using metal tools around charged batteries and their cables and switches with exposed terminals.