Can I use a clear coat on my fiberglass boat?

nash2_us

Cadet
I just bought my first fiberglass bass boat. It is an older boat with a few small nicks which I plan on repairing. Can I use a clear coat instead of painting with gel coat? The bottom of the boat has had some repairs using gel coat after repairs.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Can I use a clear coat on my fiberglass boat?

Ill do what I can to help you out! First, is it Metalflake? I asume it is! If it looks good wet you can clear coat it, but it is a very big job! Imron clear by Dupont is the paint of choice, Its even better that the clear gel coat! Everything on the boat must be removed for a good job! Motor, and all! You will be much happier if you do this! Next, if you have never sprayed clears before, take it to a body shop after you strip it down to have it sprayed! Three full wet coats will last a lifetime with proper care! Make sure they clean it VERY well with wax and grease remover and a scuff pad before painting!!

nash2_us

Cadet

Thanks for the info. My brother owns an auto body shop so he will do the painting. He told me yesterday that he could paint the boat and clear coat it, but I wanted to make sure that it could be clear coated on the bottom instead of gel coat.<br /><br />Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral

I thought we were talking about the deck! the bottom can be clear coated also, but if you leave the boat in the water for extended times it can blister! (several days)! Preporation on the bottom is a little different also as it will have to be sanded first, nothing finer than 320 as it needs a good bite! If he owns a body shop he should know what he is doing! If there is any buffing to do, be sure to do it within the first couple of days after painting as Imron is tougher than a rock to polish!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I agree that imron is the paint of choice,but only above the water line,it will surely blister if submerged,even if the boat is trailered.Charlie

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

There are many thousands of performance boats out there that have Imron on the hull below the water line.<br />Our older Baja is blue metalflake with clear coat everywhere and it is just fine after several years.<br />No blistering at all anywhere.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I seriously doubt that it is below the water line.Especially since Dupont,a little company that makes a bit of imron,recommends against below the water application.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

Imron, if applied correctly will Not blister below the waterline if boat is trailered! I do not care what Dupont says!! Been there done that many times!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

My mistake lubedude,Dupont states that you CAN apply it to a trailered boat all day long.Just dont put the boat in water.I am sure you have done much more extensive research than Dupont.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Whatever.<br />Again there are thousands of performance boats panited that way.

LubeDude

Admiral

Crazy Charlie:<br /><br />Dupont says that to cover there Bu*ts! Im speeking on experience! Painted several boats with it and none have blistered or pealed! One I know off was left in the water for a month without problems! I know where you are coming from, but it will work!

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am no expert on this but my Good friend and i painted his race boat A 19 foot pickle fork race boat. with imron 3 years ago and it looks like it was just painted yesterday. and he is in it every weekend racing or just riding . We live down in south louisiana near new orleans. and have no winter storage needed . nice weather all year round.

Mikevn1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also agree that you can paint your boat with Imron. I painted a boat and cleared it with Imron had it for 4 years. I always trailerd that boat and it looked so good when I sold it I got 4 times what I paid for it. Now I fixed it up and put a few bucks in it but for once I came out ahead. :D

nash2_us

Cadet

First of, thanks for all the input on what to use to paint my boat. Here is a web site about painting watercraft which uses Imron paint.<br /> http://www.geocities.com/gregspwc/Page_3.htm <br /><br />I also went to several web sites that told about using Imron paint. My brother who owns a paint and body shop said it should take about 2 quarts of base color for the bottom of the boat and then Imron clear coat. The top side about 1 quart of Imron clear coat should about do it.<br /><br />Again thanks for all the help, if you need to know anything about boats I know where to ask.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm with LubeDude on this 1........<br />I've been painting boats for a few years.....<br />Dock boats.. Trailer boats... Fiberglass boats... Aluminum boats...<br />With Proper Surface Preperation, I/We've had NO Problems with loose/bubbled paint....<br />Many of these boats have been back in the water for 5 years or More.....<br />My/Our paint of Choice is NAPA MSU....<br />The Only thing we do Extra is add extra hardener for the last top coat......<br /><br />crazy charlie, If you Think that Only paint that works, has to say Boat on the can, You're Very Wrong..... Proper Surface Preperation is Much More Important......

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks for the support guys!<br /><br />Just a note on the Impron!<br /><br />When you buy the paint, if you buy a gallon, you get the paint and the hardener, which makes a gallon of sprayable material. there for if you buy a quart and the hardener, you gaet a quart of sprayable material! One quart will not be enough to put three full wet coats on the deck!<br /><br />Also make sure you do not use too fine of sandpaper under the finish, NO finer than 320, as you are looking for a good bite! Do, NOT use any laquer type primers over your repairs either, only urethane type primers! This is VERY important!