Can I test my 125 Force with earmuffs?

budblas

Seaman Apprentice
I've noted when idling this engine at the dock, a substantial amount of water comes<br />out the two small holes just below the power head. Not so much when underway. <br />It has a new impeller. It's in my yard now for Spring tune up.<br />Now, my question. After I'm satisfied it's ready to go, can I test it (the engine) with<br />ear muffs. Do I have to slightly obstruct the opening in the trim tab to create some<br />back pressure or must this engine be tank tested with the trim tab submerged.<br />I have the SELOC shop manual for this engine, but nowhere does it address this.<br />I have very high water pressure at the tap.<br /><br />Thanks for getting this far,<br />Bud

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I test my 125 Force with earmuffs?

Howdy Budblas.<br /><br />You can test if it starts and idles on the muffs. You can also verify if it has spark on all cylinders and is making power on all.<br /><br />But really test it? No. <br /><br />For that you need to put it under load, either on the water or in a test tank with a test wheel.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi budblas, probably the easiest way to explain this is to look at how the cooling system works on a Force 125 and likely most outboards, I have the same engine, the water pump pushes the water into the water jacket and is circulates in the engine and provides cooling, since there is a constant supply from the water pump the excess has to go somewhere and it pushes against a spring loaded valve until the water goes out the holes you describe, when the engine water finally gets to the thermostat temperature it opens and allows the hot water to exit the engine. The high water pressure you have simply increases the amount exiting the engine. I use a small adjustable water hose valve in the water hose feeding the earmuffs, the manual notes to adjust the flow until some water escapes around the muffs. Too much pressure won't hurt the engine but increases the chance of the muffs popping off which will likely damage the pump impeller unless you shut the engine off immediately. Hope this lengthy explanation helps.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

This info. answers my questions. I thank you very much.<br />Bud