Can I still run with low rpms

Dennis1958

Seaman
The boat I just purchased a 1996 Evinrude 48 hp dosent run full rpms with full throttle. Does it hurt to run this motor the way it is. I was suppose to take it out next weekend and just go slow but I dont want to hurt the motor before I fix it. What are your thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I still run with low rpms

fix it first, could be the engine has ran hot. and is stuck in the default mode. could be dirty high speed jets, fuel pump. what have you done to diagnois the cause? has this motor be setting when you bought it? do you have any history on it?

JB

What Daddy said.

Running a sick engine is almost sure to kill it.

Dennis1958

Seaman

This is a 1996 Evinrude 48hp that I just bought. When I took it out it wouldnt pick up speed so I ran Sea Foam to see if it helped. It didn't. When I push in the choke it sounds like it will die and then it picks up speed to the point that it is probably doing the max it will go. If I let go of the choke it slows down again. I have changed the fuel line and havent been able to get it back out on the water. I hope to this weekend.

JB

Don't, Dennis.

Your engine is starving for fuel and will destroy itself unless it is fixed before you take it out again.

Like trying to ride a crippled horse.

tashasdaddy

starving for fuel, which means starving for lubricant also. is your gas tank vented? is it clear and open. you really need the engine specific OEM manual, fuel pump working?

Dennis1958

Seaman

How can you tell if the fuel pump is working correctly? I checked the filter inside and it was very clear. Im thinking I will rebuild the carbs .. I have changed the fuel line.. tried it using two different gas tanks... ran seafoam in my gas.. Could the fuel pump cause the low rpms?