Can I put my boat in salt water for a week

dwci97

Seaman
I have a 24' Splendor Cat that we use to boat the Illinois River and the Missouri Ozark Lakes. We are heading down to Gulf Shores Alabama and we are taking the boat with us. After I pull it out of the water is all I have to do flush it out good with freshwater and hose off the trailer? Any help and suggestions any one of the great posters here can give me on using a freshwater cooling type boat in saltwater would be appreciated. Thanks for the info....

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I put my boat in salt water for a week

There is no such thing as a freshwater type boat though there are some engines that make greater use of stainless and call that their saltwater version.<br /><br />Don't worry about it, go take your boat and have fun. When you come back home take it to some fresh water and run it for the day, that will be flushing enough. Your trailer is another matter, particularly if its not aluminum or galvanized. If yours is painted mild steel you can you should rinse it as soon as possible after launching or loading your boat. <br /><br />The thing to keep in mind is that a week isn't going to hurt the boat at all and nothing will get wet in use in the saltwater that won't get rinsed right off in use as soon as you take it back out into the freshwater. A week worth of salt isn't going to harm the engine at all either. Just don't get tempted into putting a set of those muffs on and running it to flush it out. Just wait until you get back to your favorite lake or river and run it. You'll be just fine.<br /><br />Thom

Johnshan1

"Just don't get tempted into putting a set of those muffs on and running it to flush it out."<br /><br /><br />Whats wrong with doing that?

ThomWV

Aside from that it is a total waste of your time it offers a really great chance to do damage to your engine.<br /><br />Those engines which have the ability to simply hook up a hose into their cooling systems to give a partial flush are OK (as long as you don't run the engine while doing it) if you want to use them but the muffs are just asking for trouble. All it takes is a short interuption of water flow to a jacket around the cylinder and its all over. Let's see, someone turns off the hose, the muffs fall off, some parks on the hose or runs over it and breaks it, for all I know someone flushes the toilet at the same time the washer is filling up. There are all sorts of reason why the water flow can slow down for a couple of moments and that's all it take with a running water cooled 2-stroke. On the corrosion side the damage was being done while you were out there running the engine, its not rotting away in your driveway because of some supposed salt film on the inside of the water jackets. So if you're just going to dip it back in saltwater the next time you use it there is no use in washing it out and if you're going to run it in freshwater next time then why bother to flush it out now? See what I mean?<br /><br />Thom

Johnshan1

Not really.<br /><br />I do 90% of my boating in the salt water, when I come home I hook the muffs on it and run it for 5 minutes. <br /><br />I stand there and watch it and a bungi cord holds the muffs on so they wont fall off. If the water interuption is that bad then what happens to these guys who jump their 2 strokes right out of the water when they hit waves? <br /><br />I for one would rather have fresh water sitting in the engine passages then having salt water sit there for a week, just my own personal feelings.<br /><br />Im actually heading out now to flush the motor with the muffs, I wont be using the boat till this weekend, just to give me some peace of mind :)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

As you're leaving Gulf Shores on Hwy. 59, you'll see a car/boat wash place on your right. You can wash the salt off your boat and trailer here and not have to worry about it on the trip home. I've never boated in anything other than salt water and it dosn't hurt anything if you keep your boat washed off and your motor flushed with fresh water. I've been flushing with muffs for many years and have never had any trouble caused by this.

D

DJ

Flushing on the muffs is fine, as long as:<br /><br />1. You have plenty of water pressure.<br /><br />2. DO NOT leave the area. Watch it. Engines have burnt up because the Muffs fell off.

dwci97

Seaman

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I will be stopping by the boat/trailer wash for sure on my way out of town.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You dont have to be concerned about sliding muffs if you use my "Tip of the week" Take an ice pick and push it through the side of the earmuffs opposite the water inlet.Get the muffs into position and push the ice pick until it enters the intake vents.Voila!!! it cant slip.I learned this method the hard way.Please use it every time you flush.Charlie

Johnshan1

A simple bungi cord works well too and you dont need to modify anything...