Can I prime an empty fuel system???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozman03

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I just recently put new fuel line in, replaced the fuel filter in my Carter, mechanical fuel pump (filter on the bottom), and installed the Mercury "anti-vapor" gas line from the fuel pump to the carb on my 1986 Mercruiser 470. My question is, when I go to start this thing for the first time, will the mechanical pump be able to pump gas from the tank when the entire line from tank to carb is dry? Or do I have to just shoot the carb with some spray start a few times to get the fuel pump to purge the line? If not, how should I introduce fuel into the line before buttoning everything up?

In advance, thanks for any help guys. Much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can I prime an empty fuel system???

Ayuh,.. It should pick up it's gas, all by itself...
But,...
A little splash in the carb will make things go alittle quicker...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It will (or I should say "Should") pull fuel up. What I do to make things easier on the starter, is pour a bit of fuel in the carb, start it and repeat till the engine keeps running. Usually only takes 2 or 3 tries. Beats cranking that expensive starter that long.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Or do I have to just shoot the carb with some spray start a few times to get the fuel pump to purge the line?

Yeah. Forget the spray. Like mentioned by the others, a tablespoon or two of gas directly down the throat of the carb.

kozman03

Cadet

Thank you gentlemen. It's been a few years since I've been here on these boards, but I see that the same helpful and knowledgable people are still around. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.