Can I Polish and Wax a Aluminium boat?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I have small 14FT aluminum boat that i keep in the salt marsh. It's developed a haze to it.
Can I polish and wax it?

I don't want to put a lot of money into doing this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I Polish and Wax a Aluminium boat?

I have small 14FT aluminum boat that i keep in the salt marsh. It's developed a haze to it.
Can I polish and wax it?

I don't want to put a lot of money into doing this.

Is it painted or bare aluminum? If it is bare aluminum there are folks on here that have mastered the art of polishing aluminum to an amazing mirror finish. Not sure that is what you are wanting, but you can read and see their work and decide...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Non painted aluminum can be restored to near original appearance with a $3.50 bottle of Aluminum Jelly.

Add to that a couple hours of work - that cost depends on what YOUR elbow grease is worth.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My new pontoon boat started to oxidize immediately upon being built last Summer. I got on all the boat and auto detailing websites to figure out how to keep it looking new.

I bought a Porter Cable dual action sander/polisher and a 6" wool bonnet. Then, I found White Diamond metal polish at Advance Auto Parts. (Mothers Aluminum Polish is simply crap.)

First make sure there's no bottom grunge or bathtub ring on the boat. If there is, you'll have to clean the bottom with an acid based aluminum cleaner or NAPA aluminum cleaner and flush it heavily with water. It'll leave a very dull finish, but will be clean.

I put two dime size dollups of White Diamond on the wool bonnet. Then, I put the bonnet on the aluminum pontoon and hit the switch on the polisher. Moving the polisher up and down, right and left on a 2'x2' area, I polished the area for about 90 seconds. A bunch of black oxide came off on the bonnet, but at the end it turned to powder and mostly disappeared. I wipe the toon with a dry towel, and the shine has been restored to like new.

The only other way to polish aluminum is with a rouge and a cotton wheel on a regular polisher like car detailers use. You can get swirls and gouges out of one of these polishers, and many professionals use dual action polishers that are safer to use and not such a handful.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, I used Mothers on All my Aluminum on my boat and it shines like Chrome. Worked Great for me and a lot of others that I have recommended it to. Never used the White Diamond but I'll have to give it a try.;)

This also works really well...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Can I Polish and Wax a Aluminium boat?

Yeah, mine (16' Sylvan). Let me know when you're available.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Actually Mother's worked great for me. Now I just want to seal the mirror finish without any milky residue finish. Will a good was do anything to cover a mirror shine?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class

er...........make that "wax" not "was" :)