Can I make my own felt Oiler clip?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
2 years ago I remember ripping off the dried out felt piece and throwing it away (didn’t know what it was for stupid I know). I have no clue where the Oiler guide clip went to though. The replacement part is like $30 new and like $15 used. Any way I could make my own it doesn’t seem too complicated?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
See if you can find an auto parts store that remembers what a tube of distributor cam lube is (NOT valve cam lube). This will replace the need for the felt wick. Just a little dab is all you need. Too much will sling off and foul the points.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
One more question, can I grease the points cam without removing the flywheel if I use like a q tip or something and spin the flywheel to spread it out?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
on a vehicle dizzy, i used my finger. a q-tip should be fine

Thanks for the reply, can I do this without removing the flywheel? Like through the little “window” at the top. Also when I had the armature plate off last time i wiped all the grease off the bottom where it rides on the engine. The throttle lever doesn’t seem to turn super hard but does it need to be lubed to prevent wear or something? (probably has a little residual grease left over but most is gone) I just don’t want to have to fear it all back apart again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All the magneto plate surfaces that rotate need lubrication.-----Not so much because they rotate a lot but because of shaking / vibration action on these surfaces.-----You can not see that but it does cause wear.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the magneto plate surfaces that rotate need lubrication.-----Not so much because they rotate a lot but because of shaking / vibration action on these surfaces.-----You can not see that but it does cause wear.

I’ll pull it back apart this weekend thanks for the help! I’d rather do it right. My local auto parts store doesn’t have any distributor cam lube, all I really have that would work is like Vaseline or high temp wheel bearing grease for the distributor cam, which would work best?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
See if you can find an auto parts store that remembers what a tube of distributor cam lube is (NOT valve cam lube). This will replace the need for the felt wick. Just a little dab is all you need. Too much will sling off and foul the points.

My auto parts store didn’t have any I tried to show them what I meant... would petroleum jelly or high temp wheel bearing grease work?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
try AOMCI for a felt clip .. probably very affordable from a member and your worries will be gone
some have use those sticky felt pads to cut up a felt to fit in the clip .