Can I install trim tabs on my 2005 four winns horizon 170 le/fs?

goody263

Cadet
I've a desire to add 'automatic' trim tabs to my boat, but am uncertain if any of them will work in a satisfactory way due to the hull/transom design on the boat. I have a swim ladder in the way as well. There is about a 1" offset on the underside of the hull, where the transom is shallower. There is also about 1/4" of a lip on the back side of the transom. The boat does tend to porpoise, and I would like it to get up on plane a bit quicker for tubing. See photos.

IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Can I install trim tabs on my 2005 four winns horizon 170 le/fs?

goody,

When the ladder is down what is the distance between it and the transom?

goody263

Cadet

goody,

When the ladder is down what is the distance between it and the transom?

It looks like around 6 3/4" for the upper/outer point, and 7 3/4" for the lower/inner point to the ladder.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Other than mounting them inboard (looks like you would need to move the speedo pickup) I don't think you can without removing the ladder.

goody263

Cadet

So, you think they would work okay if I could find a way to get the ladder out of the way? Would there be a problem if the ladder was always folded up when moving? I will check how far down the ladder goes. I've considered getting a replacement collapsible ladder that has one less rung.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

If the ladder was out of the way it would be good but not perfect. All in all even with the ladder removed it will not be ideal since the 1" step will cause the Trim Tabs to run in a bit of air.

The lower attachment for the ladder may be in the way of the actuator attaching to the transom if it is not removed.

Deep ladders are good in my opinion, a lot easier to get a foot on the lowest rung.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

If the ladder wasn't there, I don't see any reason you couldn't install tabs. Many of us have them on boats that have transoms that are even more contoured than yours.

The ladder would be a problem, obviously, because you don't want people stepping on your tabs whenever they're climbing into the boat (assuming the tabs would even clear the ladder...).

Without seeing the entire back end of the boat, it's hard to tell if you have space, but relocating the ladder probably wouldn't be that difficult.

goody263

Cadet

Well, this boat is full of tricky situations. The tie-downs are inboard, and possibly in the way of putting trim tabs to the inboard. I'm unsure if trim tabs would be as effective if placed to the inboard edge of that box-out. However, there is no 1" hull offset on the underside of the hull to the inboard side, like there is on the outboard side, which would be a plus.

As for the ladder, I do need some sort of ladder for boarding, and I'm struggling to find one that could replace the existing one and not get in the way of the tabs. The existing ladder mounts into two recessed areas on the top of the platform, and the screw holes are on 12" centers, with the entire ladder width being around 13 1/4".

Right now the boat has a whale tail on it, which I'd like to get rid of in favor of the tabs.

IMG_2037.jpg IMG_2038.jpg

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The tail could be part of your problem. Ever run the boat without it?

goody263

Cadet

The tail could be part of your problem. Ever run the boat without it?

Not yet, I recently purchased the boat, and intend to take it off. I wanted to get a feel for how the boat drives prior to removing it so that I could tell the effects of it. Maybe I'll hold off on the trim tabs plan until I have a chance to take it out without the tail.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

That boat should be just fine without tabs and whaletail. Save your money for boat gas.

goody263

Cadet

I did take the whale tail off, and I like the way it handles a bit better without it I think. However, I am still constantly right on the verge of planing when at a good speed to pull a tube with younger children.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I did take the whale tail off, and I like the way it handles a bit better without it I think. However, I am still constantly right on the verge of planing when at a good speed to pull a tube with younger children.

You can take care of "verge of planning" by changing to a 4-blade prop. It will help pulling up your towables as well.

goody263

Cadet

Thanks, I'll check into the 4 blade prop idea. I also have a prop which is 4" shorter pitch than the one I'm using, and I've considered putting that on when I know we're going to be tubing, but haven't done it yet. I suppose that would help a little, just due to making it a bit easier to control the speed.