Can I install on board battery charger

freybaby

Cadet
This may be a silly ? but I have a jon boat with a 9.9 Merc (pull start) with a 55 lb trolling motor --am considering adding another battery so I have enough power for long days on the water but was wondering if there was a way I could hook up an "on board charger" to this type of motor

Thanks,
freybaby

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can I install on board battery charger

I have never used one on anything but I wander if a guy could use one of those solar battery chargers in a boat.Maybe charge while you are sitting or charge a second battery as the other is in use.Probably a crazy idea but I am bored tonight...

82mustang

Seaman

I tried a solar charger for my deep cycle, skip that. It will not provide enough juice to charge your battery. Well, not unless you get several pannels, and than the controller, etc. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to install an on-board charger.

freybaby

Cadet

Thanks for replies--gave some thought to solar but not sure how well it will work

I am not sure how on board chargers really work--is the power for batteries stored in charger or does it use power from motor to charge batteries--if this is the case not sure how you would hook it up to motor I have--might be a question left for Bass Pro sales person

Thanks, freybaby

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I think you are confusing an On-board charger with the charging system on the motor. They are two totally different systems. On-board chargers, in simple terms, is a battery charger that plugs into household power (120 volts AC) when at the dock. It is not something you connect and the engine charges the battery. The engine either has or does not have a charging system and most small outboards do not unless they have electric start. Solar panels are not practical for charging batteries. you would need one the size of your boat and it would still take several days of full sunlight to do the job. For trolling motor batteries an on-board charger of 5-10 amps should be installed. You then plug in at the dock or at home to charge the battery. These are simply chargers that are permanently mounted in the boat.

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice

You didn't say whether or not your boat is docked or if you trailer it? If it's the later, then go online and look up a Stay N' Charge charging system. This charges your batteries while you are towing to & from your fishing destinations. There is no better way of charging batteries in a boat that is being towed. I've been using it for 5 full seasons now, charging a series 27 deep cycle and a marine starting battery. No problems, no worries.

If it's docked, then you have several other issues to consider. An on-board charger doesn't seem like a logical choice for your application. It will be expensive, add a lot of weight and generate heat in your boat when being charged. And you'll need house current hooked up to it. I think in this instance, you'd be best served by just buying a regular battery charger and bringing that to your boat via a long extension cord. But I don't know the layout of your docking?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding an on-board charger. It eliminates having to drag a portable charger to the boat. It also is no more or less likely to add heat than the portable charger. But understand, the engine has nothing to do with an on-board charger. It is strictly a portable charger that is permanently mounted in the boat.