Can I install a built in livewell?

bvprice

Cadet
I have a'96 Bayliner Ciera 30 ft Cabin Cruiser and was considering installing a built in livewell. What is required for this? Where can I buy the tanks, doors, pumps, plumbing, ect.? Would a portable Bait tanks be a better option? My boat will be used for fishing abou 50% to 70% of the time. Could a Bayliner dealer or a boat repair shop put one in? What do you think the cost would be?

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I install a built in livewell?

Cost?Big time!What I did is built one myself.First I got one of those 30gal plastic drums,cut the top off leaving the rim,second I got one of those livewell pumps,750gph.Its one of the ones that is mounted thru the transom of a boat.From there,I drill a hole about 2" from the bottom of the drum,mounted the pump,cut off some of the extra threading pipe,install a suction screen,after that,I drill a hole 3/4 way up from the bottom and I install a male PVC 3/4" fitting(one of those fitting that has threads on one side) and on the inside,I screw a 3/4" female fitting to the male.On the other end of the female fitting,I glued a piece of PVC pipe about 1 1/2" long,then glued a 90 drg elbow to that.After that,I ran a hose from the discharge of the pump up to the thru fitting,setting the elbow so that the water will run in a circle.<br />After that,I install a drain,drilling a hole about 1" from the bottom,installed a 3/4"PVC fitting(male from the inside),in screwing on a 3/4" cap.Do not glue!From there,I added a over flow,drilling a 1 1/2" hole about 3" from the top,you guessed,1 1/2" male and female fittings.Now the trick,before screwing those fitting together,I had cut a peice of screen to fit in between,thats to keep the bait in.After that,I cut a peice of 3/4" plywood that fit on the inside rim of the drum,screwed it around the rim,cut a hatch in that,installed hinges to that.As you install all fittings,put some silicon on and around each hole thru the drum.<br />To fill the tank,I just use my raw water wash down pump.Fro there,I wired a switch were I keep the livewell and install a quick connect plug to the switch and pump.<br />Cost,around $25.Good thing,it can be removed from the boat when I'm not live baiting.

Originally posted by prockvoan:<br /> Cost?Big time!What I did is built one myself.First I got one of those 30gal plastic drums,cut the top off leaving the rim,second I got one of those livewell pumps,750gph.Its one of the ones that is mounted thru the transom of a boat.From there,I drill a hole about 2" from the bottom of the drum,mounted the pump,cut off some of the extra threading pipe,install a suction screen,after that,I drill a hole 3/4 way up from the bottom and I install a male PVC 3/4" fitting(one of those fitting that has threads on one side) and on the inside,I screw a 3/4" female fitting to the male.On the other end of the female fitting,I glued a piece of PVC pipe about 1 1/2" long,then glued a 90 drg elbow to that.After that,I ran a hose from the discharge of the pump up to the thru fitting,setting the elbow so that the water will run in a circle.<br />After that,I install a drain,drilling a hole about 1" from the bottom,installed a 3/4"PVC fitting(male from the inside),in screwing on a 3/4" cap.Do not glue!From there,I added a over flow,drilling a 1 1/2" hole about 3" from the top,you guessed,1 1/2" male and female fittings.Now the trick,before screwing those fitting together,I had cut a peice of screen to fit in between,thats to keep the bait in.After that,I cut a peice of 3/4" plywood that fit on the inside rim of the drum,screwed it around the rim,cut a hatch in that,installed hinges to that.As you install all fittings,put some silicon on and around each hole thru the drum.<br />To fill the tank,I just use my raw water wash down pump.<br />Cost,around $25.Good thing,it can be removed from the boat when I'm not live baiting.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can spend anywhere from $100 to $2000, depending on the size, location, features, etc.<br />Do you want it cooled?<br />Do you have a space for it on deck, or in a cabinet?<br />Do you need a portable/removable unit?<br />Do you want manual water flow, continuous flow water, or on electronic timers?<br />How large do you need it?<br />Separate compartments for bait and caught fish?<br /><br />There is a kit you can buy that you can install in a large cooler. It includes tubing, pump, aerators, etc.<br /><br />Iboats megamall sells what you need to build one.<br />Start here: <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...word&keywords=livewell&submit.x=37&submit.y=8 <br /><br />Also, Cabelas, West, and Bassproshop has the parts.<br /><br />Yes someone can do it for you, but it will double or tripple the cost.