Can I get a little help from a National Leaguer?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Since we don't play a lot of "small ball" in the AL, can somebody please explain the difference between a "squeeze play" and a "suicide squeeze?"<br /><br />thanks,<br />jtw

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Can I get a little help from a National Leaguer?

If the runner on third commits to running home before seeing if the hitter successfully bunts the ball, it's a suicide squeeze. If the runner makes sure that the ball is bunted and safely lands on the ground before running, it's a safety squeeze. If the runner waits for the bunt but does not wait to see if it's caught, it's simply a squeeze.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

thanks - that's just one of the subleties we miss out on by having a DH. Personally I'm not convinced that the additional powerhitting makes the game more exciting.

aspeck

Staff member

jt, I think the DH takes a lot of the "management" out of the game - what do you do if your pitcher is hot, but the bases are loaded, 2 outs, and the pitcher is up? No prob with the Dh, but a little different without! Lot of other things to think about when the pitcher has to play offense also.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I am a Texas Ranger Fan, American League, but I wish they would abolish and outlaw the DH. The pitcher is a player, and all players should hit.<br /><br />The manager should have to manage.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Exactly. Add power to the lineup, makes you less willing to take risks running the bases, stealing, bunting, etc. And you don't have to worry about the trade-off between power at the plate and, say, speed in the outfield.<br /><br />Interesting that in baseball, the highlight films are full of home runs - essentially a ball in flight and a guy taking a victory lap.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. <br /><br />Bring back pitchers who can hit; guys like Drysedale and Fergie Jenkins.

tylerin

Commander

It doesn't matter to me if the pitcher hits or not, what does matter is the managing skills it takes to subsitute around a pitcher. The pitcher in the NL bats last but by the end of the game he might be in the 5th position by way of double substitutions. If you need a run in the later innings and you have a pitcher on deck but he's pitching great what do you do. This is the part of the game I would miss if I was an AL fan. To me its a big advantage NL has in the Series at home.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

and how about Babe Ruth?