can i fit 2 motors?

jvolpe28

Seaman
hello, i own a 16 ft boat, i currently have a 9.9 remote control long shaft (hp limited lake) I was thinking of adding a larger hp engine and sliding the 9.9 over for a kicker/backup. i was wondering if i could just slide it over on the transom or if i must add a bracket, i know you can not tell me without seeing the boat so below i will add my picture page, please scroll down to the picture of the back of my boat and tell me what you recommend. THE PICTURE IS THE 3RD OR 4TH FROM THE BOTTOM THANKS PICTURES > http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=846372&uid=566175&members=1

jvolpe28

Seaman
Re: can i fit 2 motors?

if it matters......i was thinking of adding a 40-60 hp evinrude....thats not to big.....motorhead's what do you think?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nope, you can't do it without transom modifications. (and a transom bracket is both cheaper and easier.)<br /><br />You have a sunken well, and there is no room for a second motor on that transom that would allow the full movement of the other motor lock to lock without hitting the other.<br /><br />I had my kicker on the back without a bracket, but my well goes side to side, so I have a ton of room, I still ended up getting a bracket though, its a neater solution.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank<br /><br />PS, I still don't see the Bikini shot you promised us :)

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be a bit concerned with the extra weight back there on a 16' boat. What is the maximum HP on the CG plate say? I would not exceed that with the primary motor that your about to buy. :(

jvolpe28

Seaman

the max hp is 120, i took off a 115 hp off and sold it when i bought the boat , i dont think weight will be a problem

D

DJ

jvolpe28,<br /><br />I think you are going to have to "bracket" the kicker. That is a fairly narrow transom cut out.<br /><br />If the boat is rated for a 120, I wouldn't worry about having two engines back there. <br /><br />You may have to move some things around in the cockpit though, battery(s), fuel tanks, etc. to balance the load.

jvolpe28

Seaman

guy's if you look closly at the back of my boat....you will see 4 holes on the left side , they appear as white spot's becuase i rudly filled them with marine tex, in the location of these holes....is it possible that this was a kicker bracket?....if not....is this where i would place a bracket? thanks