Can I Change the fuel Pump 1985 VRO 70hp

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I reasonly disconected the VRO on this 1985 70hp VRO. I have a bolt in the oil line and have sealed it on the end and folded the hose with a wire tie! I am having fuel delivery questions and was thinking I could swap the oiler/fuel pump for a standard fuel pump. I could just rebuild this one I think, but is there a way to eliminate this set up and put in a standard fuel pump? I have a standard pump on hand. Is there a place to connect it? I guessing the one thats there now runs on crank case pressure as well?<br />thanks steve

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Can I Change the fuel Pump 1985 VRO 70hp

Hey stinky2,<br /><br />I'll bump it up again for you. And.....I have the same year 120, just replaced powerpack, stator, timing base, upon some BAD advice. Well, I did tell the mechanic I had a brand new pump in there, with a screw in the oil inlet, like you're describing. Point is, I rebuilt the old pump, then put in a new one, this weekend I took the rebuild parts out of the old pump and put them in the new pump.......And now it's running! I think these pumps #$%@! Last summer, you do the search, there was a post about putting in an electric. I talked to a guy who's now in florida. "MasterTech" is part of his site/business name. He was going to sell me an electric, wish I bought it, and he mentioned something about a check valve to make sure you don't get too much pressure. 8 or 15 psi or something, keep us posted cause this fuel delivery thing bites! And I'd be willing to change over in a heartbeat..... :p

Bill Stock

Cadet

Stinky2<br />Just finished installing regular fuel pump on 1990 40hp instead of cost of vro. If this is any help, their is a bolt with 10-24 tapped holes on either side thats where pump mounts, was on same side as vro ,and need to remove and plug psi line that went to vro. Don't know if same as yours but may help Bill

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bill then your saying under all that stuff theres a place to put a regular old type fuel pump. Just have to remove the plug?<br />steve

Bill Stock

Cadet

Yes their is a spot to mount ( my 1990 40 did). vro psi line was located lower carb right side-remove and plug with regular 1/8 0r 1/4 pipe plug( don't remember size but 1 of these) . Mount for regular fuel pump was located upper right side (faceing carbs). If you have fuel pump in hand helps, as mounts directley on crankcase. Eliminated fuel filter as has internal in new pump. Fuel "in" line goes to in arrow on pump and out line goes to tree that feeds carbs. Don't need oil line from tank as you will be pre mixing gas. Check other posts for wireing removal ,plenty here. Fuel pump 1/2 the price of vro. Bill

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill thanks my thoughts as well.<br />steve

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have had a similar problem. so i added a electric 12 volt pump and wired it with the ignition switch it only puts out 2-5 psi and works just dandy. i just went to autozone or 688 auto parts and told the guy i wanted a inline low volume low pressure fuel pump with 5\16 hose fittings and installed it. worked fine and 3 years later still runs great !!

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

rjarreau What size motor was this installed on?<br />And what was the cost?<br />steve

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

rjarreau,<br /><br />Ditto that. What size motor, and do you know part # or have any more info? <br /><br />Anyone else? Would 2-5 psi be enough for a 1985 120 Evinrude?