Can I add storage compatments to my Bayliner 2050?

mkmarquis

Cadet
Hi all. Most Bayliners I have seen have storage compartments located under the open bow seats. I just bought a 1990 19' Bayliner 2050 I/O with a 3.0 and the open bow is all one piece with no storage openings. Being rather disapointed when I found this, it makes for no where to stow away things, accept the shelfs under the dash. <br /><br />HELP - Can I cut out storage compartments in this boat's open bow under the seats and put hinges and latches on them to make doors? Or would this be a no no? Please advise.<br /><br />One person I talked to said Bayliner did not put compartments on this model because they were in transition of making a stronger hull and ommitting the compartments added strength to the hull? Is this true does anyone know?<br /><br />Mike

ray21

Seaman
Re: Can I add storage compatments to my Bayliner 2050?

mk...<br />i have a 1990 bayliner cobra, and the previous owner had done just that, cut out on both sides under the seats. i searched and found some pics of a 2050, and i'll think you'll find that your boat will have the same problem...<br />the fact that these boats have a deep v design, unlike say a bassboat that has a hull which is much flatter, is that there isn't much storage space under those seats...you'll get a pretty big opening at top, but the hull underneath comes down at a sharp angle to the keel of the boat, and there just isn't much room. i am in the process now of redecking my entire boat, and i'm eliminating those storage areas because they were kinda useless.<br /><br />although its not exactly the same as your boat, here's a pic to give you an example:<br />
P0000443.JPG
<br />pay no attention to all the rotten plywood.. :(

mkmarquis

Cadet
Re: Can I add storage compatments to my Bayliner 2050?

Thanks Ray, I'm glad you replyed to my question. And the photo really helped too. I took another look at my boat and indeed it looks like the hull really V's in pretty deep. So I agree with you, probably not enough storage space to gain for doing it anyway. And I don't want to have the plywood rot out on me. I'll manage with the space I have. You know boaters... we always want more :) <br /><br />By the way... I wish you well on your re-decking project.<br /><br />Mike