Can I add a VRO pump to a 1996 Evinrude 48hp

Dennis1958

Seaman
I have a 1996 Evinrude 48spl. I just got my manual today and noticed some motors that year got a VRO pump . Can I add one to the motor I have and not have to worry about mixing the gas and oil. I will be getting my parts manual soon but I dont think mine has one on it. The guy I bought it from said my mix should be 50:1 so Im thinking not. My model # is E48ESLED

D

DJ

Re: Can I add a VRO pump to a 1996 Evinrude 48hp

YES, you can. It was a frequent dealer installed option. Not hard at all.

The OMC/Bombardier (John/Rude) dealer can get a kit.

DON'T let the dealer talk you out of it. Freedom from mixing is awesome. The VRO (oil injection) systems were bulletproof, if maintained.

Dennis1958

Seaman

Well.. Im just getting into my manual.. but is there room on the motor? Is it External or will it fit under the cover?

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

With all due respect to your Supreme Marinerness Bulletproof? This subject has been beaten to death......so I will spare you my opinion, but for the person who does not feel confident in there abilities to mix gas and oil effectivley, then yes it is a great., some people feel better knowing for absolute sure what there ratios are. I have to admit in the 4 VRO engines I have owned I have NEVER had a problem. I aslo have my current one disconected because I refused to drop the money. But that is my Irishness coming out !!

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fits under the engine cowel, fit very well actually.....If you are hellbent on the install keep up on the maint. Just my 2 cents

StratosRob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my opinion I would stick to the pre mix the less moving parts the better. Just my opinion. Good luck

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually the new pump you get won't be a VRO pump but rather the OMS pump which has better electronics and mixes at a somewhat stable ratio of 50:1 all the time. At idle it may be slightly less but not much. I think it's a great idea to add it.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Guy's what is there to maintain on these pumps?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Not a matter of maintaining the pump. It's the oil tank and related hoses/fittings that need inspection regularly. Basically make sure the oil tank has no water in it and that the oil lines are secure and in good shape.Test the alarms. Clean and add fresh oil to the tank every spring, prime the bulb and go. Other than that, they are pretty much a no brainer...

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Rick this is what i do , spring and fall.

Claude,

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Have you priced this out yet? Close to $300 for a pump, about $100 for a tank and hose, plus related hoses and plumbing, etc.

As much as I am an advocate for the "VRO", will you be getting more than $400 of extra value by installing one of these on a 10 year old motor?