can high rpm miss be caused by rectifier

ferg57

Cadet
i have a 1995 90hp force ser#123251 on a 24ft pontoon, idles fine ,hard to start when cold,started missing around 3500rpm will not get above 4700rpm. before boat cranked fine hot or cold could get rpms to 5500 have a good fuel&water filter on it changed it after trouble started,used new gas,changed plugs, old were champion, used new NGK ran worse, put new champions back in still has a strong miss while under a load, will not miss if in netural at high rpm only while in the water under way. i can take plug wires off starting with top cyl,an can detect a miss on each cyl till i get to #3cyl [bottom] when i pull the plug wire,it will kill the motor. noticed before trouble started tac needle would jump to higher rpms ever so often with no change in motor rpms. i have done a compression test to it since bringing it home[ #1cyl-122psi,#2cyl-125,#3cyl-125 all done with engine cold an throttle wide open and plug wires grounded. i have a manuel[clymer] but am in desperate need of someone who can help me through a process of elimination.any help would be greatly appreciated.

yfz450guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: can high rpm miss be caused by rectifier

anyone have any ideas?

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is many things that can cause this.

It sounds electrial to me , you should start by testing the rectifier on down. You dont seem to be getting the fire you need. I will check the manual I have and see what I can find.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, here goes........Misfireing can result from a weak spark or a dirty spark plug.Check fuel contamination. If misfireing occures only under heavy load, as when accelerating, it is usually caused by a defective spark plug. Run the motor at night to check for spark leaks along the plug wire and underspark plug cap or use a spark leak tester.

Hope this helps.