Can flying fish be dangerous? - Boating Humor

iboats.com

Recruit
flyingfishpic-1024x768.jpg

A fellow boater posted this picture. The comment stated, "So this hit me in the chest while driving my boat last night..." Imagine driving, loving the cruise and fresh air; when all the sudden something slugs you in the chest. If you calculate the speed he is driving, and how fast the fish is going, it must be a little painful. On the bright and not so painful side, how often do you see a fish like this? I couldn't find a name for this species, but a little information on flying fish can be read below.

From resources available, flying fish grow up to about 18 inches long. The one in the picture above appears to be close, if not fully matured. Don't be confused, they can't actually fly, it's more of gliding. The fish build up speed enough speed needed under the water. Then using their tail fin, the flying fish explodes from the water. Extending the large wing like front fins, the fish begins its glide. The flying fish may be able to glide higher then the boats gunwale.

Not that you have to worry much about this happening to you, but be ready for anything to happen out on the water.

Last edited: