Can carbon build-up cause WOT surging???

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Don't know if this should be here or somewhere else... and I'm sure it will be moved if it don't belong :D <br /><br />I just got back from my second choice Johnson/Evinrude shop and we got to talkin about what my motor is doing... Surging at WOT... This is not to fix the surging I just want to know if this shop has any clue what there talkin about. <br /><br />I told him that I have decarbed 2 and from the looks of things it has'nt been done before. He told me this:<br />Keep running decarb through it until it's clean. That it sounds like I could have carbon built up in the exhuast and its creating to much back pressure in the motor, which would cause the surging.<br /><br />Anyone ever heard this??? Remember they are my second choice shop for a reason... Just tryin to figure out if they know what there talkin about.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can carbon build-up cause WOT surging???

It sounds a little off-base to me Dave. Did they ask about your carbs? It sounds like a fuel restriction to me.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

WEll I think I have figured out the problem was... But I thought of it as off the wall myself... WEll I didn't go buy a case of sea foam... not yet anyways... <br /><br />Unless someone else posts here to change my mind... Looks like they will still be my second choice shop... and by second choice I mean give them the part number and have them order me the part.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Are you going to share your solution with us? We won't tell. Honest!<br /><br />Also are we talking about a 196? 5 hp or a 200? 225?