can bad starter act like weak battery

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
for you engine guys, I have 1984 115HP Evenrude. Has always been slow to react to key turning on. Could take up to second or two to turn over after key turned on. I've had motor about 10 years. Acted this way on another boat I had and still on current boat I put engine on. I have new cables from battery to engine. Tonite I ran boat (started right up) and sat for awhile and when I tried to restart motor acted like bad battery and would just about turn flywheel. Let starter cool down and when I tried to start again noticed some smoke coming from starter. The batterys were just charged up 2 weeks ago when I had boat out. I do have battery switch and always start from both batteries. Switch is off when not at boat. All electronics attached to second battery. Horn was strong and T&T was strong. So question is can bad starter act like low batteries. Thanks for any help

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: can bad starter act like weak battery

Anytime you have "smoke" coming from a starter, I would find it a bit suspect!!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Take it to a starter repair shop and see if they can rebuild it. Are you getting your 12 volts at the starter while cranking?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Weak starter solenoids can make it seem like the starter is bad. Try jumpering around the solenoid. Since you have smoke coming from yours, probably time to have a look inside the starter. I'd tear into it before sending it out for overhaul. You will probably find it filled with carbon dust, so a good cleaning is important, also, relubbing the bearing sleeve at the top and bottom. A dab of white lithium grease works fine. If the armature and communator are ok, check the brushes-possible they need to be replaced. You can get replacement brushes from any Bombardier dealer.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Replaced starter & motor fired right up. Starter must have been going bad for years as it always had that delay from key turing on to starter actually engaging engine. Now turn key and starter engages immediately. its a good day. Now I can take wifey crabbing tomorrow. Now if only the crabs cooperate

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear. I assume it was too bad to rebuild?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Let me guess....cracked magnets, right? Or was the armature burnt up from smoking it? Or did it get smoked because the magnets were busted?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yeah, those starters are pretty much history, once you've let the smoke out.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

didn't even open up the old starter. Maybe I will just to see what it looks like