can anybody tell me what it is

I have a 1987 force outboard 50hp.On the lower shaft just above the propeller i have a big black thing that looks like the tail end of an airplane.Never seen one on an outboard before and was wondering what this is for. Its bolted on and was wondering if i took it off the pros and cons. Maybe i should mention its on a 1987 procraft boat 16ft bass boat.What im looking for is to get the boat to troll a little slower any suggestions. Havent turned the idle down yet but was wondering how low of an idle i can have for this motor. :confused:

one more cast

Captain
Re: can anybody tell me what it is

What that Whale Tail thingy is for is to help your boat plane off faster.Try it with it on and try it with it off and see what better suits your needs.

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you aren't going to get much slower by adjusting your idle speed and there are some good reasons why you shouldn't crank it down much further.<br /><br />Consider leaving the whale tail on there. If you pull a skiier, it makes a big difference on a smaller motor.<br /><br />If you want to do it right, go to www.basspro.com and in the top left corner of the website, enter 'happy troller' in the search box.<br /><br />Cabelas also has some good options. On the left side of the page, select 'Marine' then under 'Gas Outboards' select the 'Trolling Plates' option.<br /><br />good luck

irishpaddy

Recruit

You could try changing the prop to a shallower pitch; although this will have the dual effect of lowering your top speed somewhat also - it depends where your priorities lie.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

How bout an electric trolling motor?Add a deep cycle battery for a happy combo... :) <br />Your airplane tail is a hydrofoil bolted to the cavitation plate of the motor.These will raise the stern slightly and allow you to stay on plane at slower speeds,which saves gas...

i already have a electric trolling motor but with the weight of the boat it seems to go alittle to slow. Going to take fin off and see what happens maybe turn idle down alittle also will let you all know how it works out. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES.