Can a loose choke be fixed?

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 1988 Larson 170 citation with a 4 cylinder, (3.0?) OMC. The previous owner took me out on it and I drove it before I bought it. It ran great for the half hour or so that we were on the river, and still does, but after using it more on my own and peeking around I discovered that the choke on the side of the carb is loose. It appears that the bolt or screw attaching it is broken. I looked in the seloc manual (on this forum) to see how it is attached but I didn't notice a bolt attaching the two. The motor seems to idle a little rough but when I press the choke tight to the carb it seems to smooth out. Can the choke be re-attached to the carb or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Also, there is a sound of air leaking when the choke sits loose and I assume that air is being pulled into the carb. Is this terrible for my fuel economy? Thanks for any insight or info. I am sure that the more I go out, the more questions I will have. Mike

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can a loose choke be fixed?

Howdy,

A picture would help to illustrate what you're talking about.

Is it a heat (riser) actuated choke or electrically operated?

You're probably uncovering a vacuum port. It needs to be covered or you will cause a lean running condition which could cause a detonation event. (that is not good)

It needs to be fixed. It sounds like someone may have tightened it too tight and stripped or broke the screw.

You might be able to get the screw out and replace it or you may be able to remove the choke altogether and plug the hole.

I disconnected my choke a long time ago since I don't boat in cold weather. I have to warm up a bit before running but it runs just fine without it.

Regards,

Rick

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If this is the electric assist choke it does not matter much being loose as long as the plate stays open .
But If this is warm and running rough. I suspect either a vacuum leak at possibly the carb base or a vacuum line. The air fuel screws may also be mis adjusted. It just doesn't sound like choke would be the issue. I always adjust mine to wide open position.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

HT32BSX115 It is a heat activated choke. I tried to take the cover off of the choke and noticed the spring so I put the cover back on. I didn't want the spring to pop out and leave me worse off than when I started. If I do take the spring out, is it under tension?, does it need to go back in a specific position?

btdoctur Thanks for the message. I see from the exploded view that the mounting screws are under the cover. Thanks. Do you happen to know what size they are? I am not sure I will be capable of getting the broken studs out of the carb but if I can what is the thread size?

Thanks, Mike.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

I took the cover off and realized that the screws were not broken, but they did back out so I tightened them up and I think I'm good to go. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Mike.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I took the cover off and realized that the screws were not broken, but they did back out so I tightened them up and I think I'm good to go. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Mike.
You might have a close look at where that vacuum port is sealed. There may be an o-ring or gasket there.

Cheers,

Rick